Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Alittlelost
      Participant

I saw my psychatrist today. He asked me to explain how the abuse made me feel emotionally. I just froze and had no idea what to say to explain it. All i could say was i felt trapped. With having autism i cant process questions like that about my emotions. Now he thinks things arnt as bad as they are just cos i couldnt say how bad things are. Im not even sure now i sit and think what words i should use.
      Just sad, scared, trapped,used…. idk?
      In the end i just told him i didnt know but that i am going to start a womans aid group to help me figure it out. I just dont know.

fizzylem
      Participant

Try to go easy on yourself ALL, it is a BIG question; and the answer is a roller coaster, a range and a mix of emotions that are not easy to define or seperate. I’m not sure why you think he thinks it isnt that bad, I’m pretty sure he will be undecided on this yet, he knows he needs to gather a lot more information and that people find this tough to answer, he will be keen to find out how it effected you, can you articulate it yet, as this is what is important. It takes a while to open up to people, whether they are professional or not, it’s like you cant just bare your soul to someone until you feel enabled to do this, relaxed, feel he will give you what you need here, will respond to you in the best way. It’s personal isn’t it, all you can do is try and consider why it is difficult for you for now and maybe spend a bit more time thinking about the answer to the question – now the pressure is off. You can always say to him next time that you have been thining about this question since we last met and revisit it if you felt you wanted to – if you feel it’s important.

Youve been ‘living’ it, he asked you to stop and think about this, reflect for a few moments, chances are your way to cope is by not stopping to think about it x

Alittlelost
      Participant

Thanks for your reply.i guess and hope going to the womans aid groups might help me figure out a answer to this at some point in a less pressured way. Thanks for ur reply.

Newbeginnings1234
      Participant

I felt the same way when I was interviewed by the police. I’d expected them to ask me to describe what happened, I hadn’t expected them to keep asking me how certain things made me feel. I then felt like they wouldn’t believe me because I didn’t get upset (I’m not a very emotional person). I think the main reason I couldn’t answer was that people rarely ask me how certain things made me feel, they just want to know the facts about what happened, so I’ve never really thought about it. Is your psychiatrist aware that you have autism? If he is, then he should understand that you find certain questions difficult. It’s ok to find it difficult to describe how you feel, I find it difficult too x

hop
      Participant

I’ve been seeing my therapist for months and she asked me this about how I felt the other day and I just froze and said I didn’t know. Sometimes I do know but can’t find the words other times I really don’t know. Trauma silences us. It would seem less true if you could answer hard questions about that quickly. My skill in life is talking and writing but when it comes this I’m mute. Try not to worry how it comes across just tell him when you are able x*x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content