Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I cycled past a turning today, i know it is dangerous turning and cars come out quickly. It reminded me of when I said to my ex “be careful that turning is dangerous”. My motivation when saying this was as it sounds to warn him to be careful as I did not want him to have an accident, 100% innocent on my part. He however viewed this type of comment as me trying to control him. There were quite a few things that I couldn’t say for fear of him thinking I were being controlling when i was only making throwaway comments or trying to have a chat. I guess we were unable to have successful meaningless chats like normal couples do. X*X

Serenity
      Participant

My ex hated it if I ever told him to be careful or tried to offer advice out of concern. I’d get thrown a daggered look. Or he’d go and do the action just to prove a point. So I daren’t do it.

Yet he told me how inadequate I was all the time.

My ex also hated me chatting about things that weren’t about him. For example, he’d get annoyed if I tried to chat to him about my job, friends or family.

I’m chuckling to myself reading your message Serenity, I wasn’t allowed to talk about myself either, either I felt that I couldn’t or he would look bored stiff which would put me off. I dont understand their mentality, what is wrong with us saying things of concern? in the end i was really reduced into what I could actually say or I had to really dress it up so that It didn’t cause offence.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content