Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Llgirl
      Participant

Looking for advice for contact from my children’s dad’s family..

I think things are going to take a long time and I wondered if anyone allowed contact with grandparents, either shortly after leaving or down the road? I have blocked them via messaging apps, but I think when things don’t go the way that my ex wants they will surely want contact? Or maybe they won’t? I just wondered how this has been approached with anyone.

Whilst they don’t acknowledge the abusive behaviour (they are supporting my ex) then I just don’t see how contact is going to work ?

They have sent a few bits and pieces in the post, asked after them a little when I first left but I just don’t know if or when they will ever ask and what to do about it .. ?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Llgirl,

It sounds like a difficult potential situation to navigate if your ex’s parents would like contact with the children, soon or in the future.

There are many variables to consider in regards to this – primarily the safety of you and the children. If having this contact may put you in any danger; in regards them passing information onto your ex, or considering where their loyalties may lie and the consequences of this on you and the children should things escalate again, particularly considering their stance on the abuse.

Depending on what your relationship with them has been like in the past, it might also be worth thinking about the impact of contact with them on your mental health and how it may affect your ability to move on from the experience of the relationship.

It’s understandable to want your children to have grandparents in their lives, but it is also important to consider all sides of this, and whats in yours and the children’s best interests.

Here is some information about grandparents legal rights if they do put any pressure on you around contact: https://www.gov.uk/contact-grandchild-parents-divorce-separate

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Llgirl
        Participant

Thank you so much Lisa, that really helps

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content