Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Soulgirl
      Participant

My ex-partner was physically and psychologically abusive to me throughout the couple of years we were in a relationship. One night he assaulted me while we were abroad so badly that I thought I was going to die and this is what eventually made me go to the police. I flew straight back to UK and went to the police. He was charged with coercive control and assault with battery (not for what he did to me abroad as that was not in UK but all the stuff that happened at home). (detail removed by moderator)

I have been dealing with PTSD and anxiety, it has really affected me and it is difficult to move on, I am trying hard and working hard to overcome all this. I have done some research and am looking at a civil lawsuit. This would be a personal injury claim for psychological damages.

Does anyone have experience of going through a civil lawsuit. I have reservations and questions. Is it worth going through more emotional pain of this process? Can it get “messy”? I fear what he may do? He has a job, but I am sure he would try/do anything not to pay a judgement so I am weighing up the pros and cons of this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

fizzylem
      Participant

Hi Soulgirl, sorry no ones replied, probably because they have no expereince of it or dont want to post as the case hasnt concluded. I have no expereince of this myself, I do know someone who is doing this but that is all I know. I also know that compensation can be sought in a different way, type compensation into a post search and I’m sure it will come up. This is compensation for victims of crime so not directly taken from him, think it’s one of those pots of government money. I’ve read a few success stories on here over the last year x

KIP.
      Participant

Try for criminal Injuries compensation on their government website. Speak to a no win no fee lawyer. There are some that do take your kind of case. Litigation is very expensive and you may not get much back once lawyers have taken their share however it might be the only course of action left open for you and if it’s not about the money then that’s not a problem. You can also look into legal aid for this kind of action. Yes it can get messy because he will get a chance to put his side of the story which as you know will be hurtful lies, but giving up without holding him accountable brings its own problems too. I believe there is a three year time limit on personal injury claims. PM me if you need more info x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Dear Soulgirl

All power to you for considering pursuing him for the damage he’s caused.

He absolutely should have to compensate.

It’s not a path often trod though, because of the inherent struggles dealing with an abuser, and he effects on PTSD for the survivor.

It’s worthwhile being aware that some actually acquire PTSD from the court process also.

I don’t say this to deter you,just to get maximum support in place for yourself in pursuing this route. It might be worthwhile asking WA on the helpline, as they are interested in following and offering support where they can for your situation.

Also, try calling Rights of Women on their evening helpline for free legal advice.

Do keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. You might be a bit of a trail-blazer doing this!

Put yourself first in all things, your safety and well-being.

Warmest wishes
      TS

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content