Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Stillsmile
      Participant

I have the police coming tonight. I want to ask about applying for abuser to be put on Claire’s law. How do you apply for this. X

Racoon
      Participant

The Domestic Abuse Disclosure Scheme is also known Clare’s Law after Clare Wood, who was killed in 2009 by an ex-partner who unknown to her had been violent to previous partners.

The provision gives people in a new relationship – or their friends or relatives – the right to ask police whether a new partner has a record of committing domestic abuse with previous partners.

Police will then decide whether a disclosure needs to be made. Any disclosure may be to a different person to the one who submitted the request – it will be to a person who is in the best position to safeguard anyone who is vulnerable.

The provision also allows police to make a pro-active disclosure where officers decide someone may be at risk.

The scheme has similarities to the Child Sexual Offender Disclosure Scheme, which since 2010 has allowed families to find out if anyone in their children’s lives has a conviction for child sex offences.

Existing powers to protect victims include prosecution, injunctions, restraining orders, and licence conditions for those convicted of crimes.

Disclosures can be made to cover all types of relationships. They can protect people whether they are male or female, gay or straight.

This measure adds to the wide range of civil and criminal measures that Police and its partners can use to keep people safe.

Racoon
      Participant

I don’t think there is a list as such it’s just that they are able to disclose if someone has been convicted of certain crimes if a panel of professionals deam a partner may pose a risk.

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

Same, it’s not a list of abusers but more a request. So, if you get a new man and you think he’s a bit dodgy you can make an application under Clare’s Law to ask if there’s anything you need to know. Even then, they do not have to tell you anything or everything. They will ascertain whether they think you are in danger and act accordingly.

I have told the police everything I can about my ex in the hope that if a new girlfriend ever makes an application on him that she will be given all the info she needs to run away!

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

As an aside, there is a petition to expand the Sex Offenders Register to cover serial offenders which would capture abusers. Laura Richards was working on this – might be more informs on her site or on Paladin.

Stillsmile
      Participant

Thanks all
      My abuser is looking for a relationship with a (detail removed by Moderator) year old. I know that’s none of my business but I’m (detail removed by Moderator) and was (detail removed by Moderator), i was fortunate to go and seek help would a (detail removed by Moderator) yr old do the same? Hence why I was asking

Stillsmile
      Participant

Thanks all

KIP.
      Participant

If you think his new partner may be in danger you can ask the domestic abuse police to pay her a visit.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content