Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      HeasvHeart
      Participant

If you submit one of these requests say you are thinking of getting back with the person or something like that.
      I told the police I was safe and that I wasn’t going back, they do take this in to consideration when deciding what to disclose, and as a result the decision was made not to disclose anything to me – those were the words so I am taking from it that there is stuff they just think I’m out of it now so decided not to say

X*x

KIP.
      Participant

Do you have a good friend who can use Claire’s Law by saying she knows you’re in a relationship with him and she’s concerned about you? Or she thinks you might return to him? I’ve done a freedom of information request to see the reasons the police give for refusing to divulge information. If this reason comes back even once, I’m going to my Chief Constable or MP to change the way Claires Law is used. The whole point is women on average return 7 times son why not tell us? It’s ignorance x

HeasvHeart
      Participant

It’s ridiculous isn’t it – almost pointless really.
      I do have friends who would do that for me but I feel I know enough just by knowing there is something.
      I will never return to him so I just need to focus on getting better xxxx

BeautyMarked
      Participant

I wasn’t familiar with this Law when I reported to the police so I didn’t ask for information. I’m not sure if the officer I spoke to said they didn’t have anything on him when I went in. It was a really passing comment and I was in shock so didn’t have the presence of mind to ask about his history.

Could someone please explain for me what the issue is with this Claire’s Law and getting information? I’ve seen a few threads now that seem to suggest that police don’t divulge the information when asked so perhaps I didn’t understand the officer especially as I don’t think I’d given his name at that point.

BeautyMarked
      Participant

Gosh, I’ve just read on one of the police websites about the procedure of applying. It’s very convoluted so I doubt that the officer had checked anything even if I had given the name. It seems like it’s very difficult to get anything at all.

So you couldn’t get a family member who is worried that you might return to an abusive relationship to make an application on your behalf as it wouldn’t be a good enough reason to disclose information that could help a potential victim?

Does anyone have a list of accepted vs non accepted reasons for disclosure?

It also seems as though they just say whether there is anything to declare i.e. a conviction. So they only declare convictions? Not if someone has logged an incident? This seems scandalous if I’ve understood correctly.

Yellowflower
      Participant

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had a disclosure after leaving a partner? On average they say victims go back several times yet this could be prevented by knowing this information and they don’t because they say your safeguarded away from it? Claire herself was murdered by her ex partner. Who she let into her flat not knowing his past. Surely that shows ex partners are still a threat and we need to know what their past is.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content