Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Starmoon
      Participant

Has anyone here ever put in a request?
      When I recently spoke to the police about my concerns, the officer said that everything shows up on it… even things that they haven’t been convicted for. This really surprised me, as I’d always been told that wasn’t the case, even the ladies who ran the freedom program had said that it only shows convictions.
      Anyway… the physical abuse to me was minimal and most of the times I called the police, they were completely disinterested, in fact they mostly treated me as if I was some drama queen causing issues over nothing m… which compounded my belief that everything was all my fault.
      This was only (detail removed by moderator) years ago, the officer recently did reassure me that a lot has changed now.. but he also seem to hint to me about accessing Claire’s law- because my concern now is for my children.

Sorry I know I’m not making a lot of sense… basically if I do it, I don’t believe it will show anything other than my reports, and even then the police mostly didn’t believe me.. so will I just be opening up a can of worms for nothing?

KIP.
      Participant

No it doesnt only show convictions it shows contact the abuser has had with the police so it could be numerous complaints made against him where nothing has been taken further. It’s at the discretion of the police how much they disclose. You can read more about it on their website x

KIP.
      Participant

You can also use it to ask them to inform a new partner that there’s been abuse in his previous relationships. I did that one just to ease my conscience. It’s upto her what she does with the information. I’m my case she had already even brainwashed and accused me of being vindictive. Even though by this stage he was on bail for a violent offence against me 🙄 I did my best x

Starmoon
        Participant

Thank you for your reply. When he left me and Got with someone very soon afterwards, I still believed it was my fault (I’m not sure I’ll ever fully believe he’s abusive) so it never crossed my mind to warn her. I thought their seemingly happy relationship was proof that had always been me to blame… but after they split up (and he got with someone els) I reached out to her to ask her if she had experienced any of what I had. It turns out that she had, and she’d wanted to contact me herself. He wasn’t physically abusive towards her… he knows better that that but it does seem it was coercive like it had been with me. She said that he’d told her all sorts about me and she obviously believed it, so I doubt she’d ever have believed me. I was tempted to mention Clare’s law to his new girlfriend but I was still of the belief that it only showed up convictions.
        I don’t think there will be anything els on there other than my own reports. I do think there must’ve been abuse toward other women before he got with me, but he was younger then, and I don’t think anyone els would’ve reported it. I just worry that it may only show what I reported and at the time, the police didn’t believe me (apart from once) so I’ll go back to feeling like it was only to me.
        But then at the same time, I feel like I want to know.. and I need to know for the sake of keeping my children safe x

KIP.
      Participant

It wasn’t only you. You’ve had it confirmed first hand from another victim. If you know his current girlfriend you can ask the police to warn her x do what’s right for you x you and your children come first x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content