Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      VikingQueen
      Participant

Has anybody successfully made an application for information under Clare’s Law? How long did it take to get a response and did it help you make the decision to leave a toxic relationship?

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hi, yes I did and yes it did help but depends what comes up on the disclosure x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi VikingQueen

A good step to take, but it depends what you think you will do with the information you get.

I haven’t done this before, but I have been asked by a g/f of his to disclose details, but when I weighed it up I figured she wasn’t going to do anything about this information anyway and all it would do is cause more abuse, so I didn’t disclose anything (rightly or wrongly).

At least you won’t have that consideration under Clares Law, but, what will you do with what you find out, are you prepared to walk away from him? Or would you think he only did it to the other and wouldn’t do it to you? i.e. her fault.

Might it make you feel invalidated in your suspicions if it doesn’t reveal anything?

Just some thoughts to consider before taking this step so you are prepared for after.

warmest wishes

ts

KillingMeSlowly
      Participant

One was made for me – it wasn’t helpful as although it provided information, I was already stuck in the relationship. When it would have helped was before I got into the relationship and especially before I decided to move in. It would have prevented me moving in.

Also, mine took about 4 or 5 months to come through! I don’t know if this is normal or an error, but it was a long time.

VikingQueen
      Participant

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think it will cement the decision to leave, if anything comes up, but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t mean that nothing happened. He already told me about an incident with his ex wife, so I’ll be surprised if nothing shows up.
      Xx

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content