Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Scapegoat
      Participant

This might see a really stupid question and I apologise if I seem dumb. Am I legally ab;e to go to back into my house to collect my belongings? The mortgage is in joint names  (detail removed by moderator). But~I have told him I am not going back to him as have had enough. He is refusing to sell the house and is going down the nicey nice route which I know is just a ploy but ~I a well and truly done.
      It is going to cost me a fortune but i have hopefully secured a rented house (references pending) and don’t want any furniture, just personal and sentimental stuff that i couldn’t get out when I fled.
      He changed the locks but(detail removed by moderator) a key to give to me, However i am v dubious about going back when hes not there bit at work in case he accuses me of pinching something.!!!Should I advise him of my intentions or just go when he’s not there. ~He has a camera in the house anyway so would know I’ve been back.

Hazel
      Participant

I am planning to do the same so will listen to the lovely ladies with their advices. In my opinion we should be ok to take our staff, I am making a list what I want to take with me. Good Luck 🙂

Strongenough
      Participant

Hi Ladies, The police can accompany you back to collect your belongings only to ensure your safety not regarding what you can or can’t take etc. From my knowledge going back after you have left an abusive relationship is a dangerous time so if you don’t return with the police please take a friend or family member with you.
      Stay Safe ❤

orangefrog
      Participant

Thank you for posting. I’m planning on collecting my stuff soon and am in a similar position to you. Luckily I have a friend who can go, so that I don’t have to. My solicitor is going to send him a list of my belongings and the jointly owned ones that I will be taken. I was advised not to give him too much time to think about it. He’s already indicated what he wants, and I’m happy to let him have all that. Of course he’s overlooked an expensive joint purchase that we made just before I left! My solicitor is going to ask him to be out of the house on the day.

Please let us know how you get on xx

Scapegoat
      Participant

Thanks for the advice ladies.
      Strongenough-Sorry but I have been told the police cannot accompany me back to the property as they don’t have the manpower to do this anymore-this was something I was told when I first left by the local WA. They also said that apparently I am not in danger as I am not in the property-which I cannot get my head around!But if he attacks me or damages anything then I can contact them. It has been so unbelievably hard and I’m not surprised I’ve been there for so long and others are too afraid to leave. The law is not on our side. I’m just worried if I go in I could be arrested or accused of taking something that was never there in the first place. I guess I’ll just have to endure the c**p by going back when he’s there.
      Tried taking all my names off the bills the other day to be told by the broadband /TV provider that I have got to return the equipment within (detail removed by moderator) as will be charged (detail removed by moderator)!!! I explained the situation again and again but no use I have to hope that I can get it or pay the fee!!All in my name of course so would affect my credit rating if I don’t return or pay.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content