Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tigger
      Participant

Ive been really brave and left the abuse, however im not feeling proud or strong right now just completely scared and overwhelmed. Ex was so verbally sociopathic and yes physical its left me feeling full of dread and emotionally paralysed to rebuild any kind of life. Sorry if that sounds pathetic!
      I have my sister and a friend i trust but i still feel really alone and isolated.
      Has anyone else felt like this is it normal and it gets better right?

Falling Skys
      Participant

Hi Tigger

Your a star getting out and I’m so proud of you and its normal to feel as you do.

With our abusers we are so controlled when the perimeters are removed its scary. Also we can start putting what they did to us in order because when your living in it your so busy surviving to think about.

I couldn’t choose when to sit in a cafe or what to eat at first. Now I go out with friends, though not go in pub situations, and I do have wobbles, but they are less.

Try not to he hard on yourself your a survivor 🙂

keep posting because this is a lifeline.

FS xx

Hi trigger. Don’t feel like that because it’s completely normal to feel like that. At first you will feel like that but as time goes on you won’t feel isolated look at how many women post on here. You have done very very well to leave him well done it can’t have been easy. I am hoping that you are safe. Keep posting throughout your journey x

Malaya
      Participant

Hi, I’m a few months out and suffering from ptsd which is fairly typical post domestic abuse. I’m on an abuse course which is really helping and I meet with a women’s aid worker too. I’d advise you to look into getting it for yourself as it does help. I have a really good support network but I quite often feel completely alone

You’ve been through a lot so take one tiny step st a time, be kind to yourself and you’ll get there xx

Tigger
      Participant

thank you for the support and messages.
      Malaya im in the process of getting outreach support so will definitely look into courses/ groups.
      Thank you.

Malaya
      Participant

Ah that’s great to hear. How are you finding it? My lady is lovely, when I’m with her I feel so strong.

Obviously we can’t go into detail too much about our lives, location, interests etc. But is there any aspect of your life you can think of that could bring you into contact with other people? Dog walking, mum n child group, church, art class, library, exercise class or group. That sort of thing, you may or may not feel ready right now, it could be something to work toward. There are even places you can go and do this adult colouring in that seems to be all the rage right now.

I think loneliness and isolation are a big part of depression and I’m trying to fight my avoidance to leave the house. I don’t always manage it but I’m getting out more than I ever did when he was here

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content