Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So completely falling apart, yet not, still.
      I had the police and mental health called on me to make sure I’m not going to do anything stupid to myself. Having the police here in the middle of the night nearly gave me a heart attack and because they were visiting on an off-day, my house wasn’t perfect. Got accused of being really depressed and told to go back on the pills. Feel like I have to constantly keep my house in a perfect state in case someone comes hammering on my door in the middle of the night again.
      Anyhoo, they sent over mental health person who talked to me about everything that is going on in a far less threatening fashion, told me that I was dealing with a hell of a lot and the drugs probably wont make a difference, as I’m dealing with real life, not just a dodgy brain.

KIP.
      Participant

do you know who rang the police? Was it malicious? I wouldnt rush to get back onto medication. I know whats causing my mental illness and im working to get rid of him. Medication treats the symptoms. Getting rid of an abuser treats the cause. I hope youve picked yourself up again 😃

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh it was the dwp. Lovely people. I’m busy trying to put myself and my life back together again and they have made it so I could lose everything that I have worked so hard for. I’m taking the drugs now because they were so expensive I can’t afford not to

older lady
      Participant

That’s a lot going on all by itself. If you’re having to interact with the DWP I am not surprised you need medication. They make the process of claiming and drawing benefits quite dehumanising. I would want to speak to GP about mental health person’s comments on usefulness of your prescription; after all, who’s doing the prescribing? As for the house, I look at the mess I live in (my daughter’s VERY creative – that’s what I tell myself, anyway) and I think, better a pigsty than Stepford. Xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you both.

older lady
      Participant

What is it with the DWP? You write you could lose everything?

older lady
      Participant

Hope you are okay. Xx

Ayanna
      Participant

Oh Freedoms, I had such a situation too. The police were chasing me because I was suicidal. And the ambulance was on standby.
      Speak to Rights of Women about the DWP. Such things happen when we do not get the support that we need. I told them that the lack of support made me suicidal and I refused to take the blame for it. If they do not help me they will have to deal with a dead body one day.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m so afraid of losing everything that I have worked so hard to build up. I have made an appointment with my MP and am going to see my councillors to ask for help. Being punished for trying to improve myself is really hard, especially how sudden it all was. One day I had help trying to get back on my feet, the next I had a bunch of letters telling me everything had been stopped and loads of really unhelpful people on the phone.

older lady
      Participant

I have felt afraid like this too. You’re economically vulnerable right now, but you can get through it. A lot of single parents know the struggle you are going through; you’re not alone. I like the idea of asking your MP to be an advocate. What about CAB or Gingerbread? Is there a union that could help give you advice or other welfare rights organisations? There might be an unemployed workers centre or women’s centre? Hopefully your MP will liaise with DWP and find a way round the issue for you. Xx

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content