Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Cornflake
      Participant

How do you cope living with an abusive partner for decades knowing that there could likely be decades more to deal with before it has any hope of ending. Sorry having a bad day every day.

Put the kettle on
      Participant

I asked myself the same question, honestly I knew I couldn’t take decades more and it was incredibly hard but I left the relationship. It’s not instantly the end of all contact in my case as we have a child but it’s the hardest but best thing I ever did leaving him

Cornflake
        Participant

How brave of you, well done. I have children too but they are grown up but still live at home and not very independent. I don’t work and due to my own mental health issues am getting weaker every day. I know it sounds pathetic I hate myself for being so weak but being able to leave with limited savings and other complications seams out of my reach.

Put the kettle on
      Participant

I understand, I felt the same. I was in the worst mental health position I’ve ever been in, I was out of work too. I’d been isolated, my self esteem was at it’s lowest. It’s what they do to us to control us.
      Only you know what’s best for you, could you speak to your GP or local domestic abuse charity?
      You’re not alone, people care, keep reaching out

tiredofitall
      Participant

I had a scare where he was tested for something serious and I was scared I’d be stuck caring for him and I couldn’t bear it. Sounds horrible doesn’t it? But it was another jolt that forced me to act. It didn’t seem right to spend the rest of my days waiting for him to die so I could be happy.
      I know your situation sounds challenging, emotionally and financially so only you know what’s possible right now but like put the kettle on suggested, maybe GP or local charity can help x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content