Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Forsaken03
      Participant

Good morning beautiful women,

I woke up at 6 am, after a nightmare. Can’t remember exactly what I dreamt of, I just couldn’t sleep afterwards.
      I sometimes have nightmares in a nightmare, where I dream something, then I dream of myself crying, then waking up also crying and realising it’s also a dream until I wake up.
      I have been out for (detail removed by Moderator) weeks, fortunately, but I don’t think I know how to process what happened.
      I feel very angry all the time and on the edge. This takes up all my energy and, although I try shifting focus in the present, I keep finding myself rewinding bits of what happened, which angers me more.
      What was your first step to coping and to stop feeling so angry?

Lots of love

KIP.
      Participant

Take a look at Healing From Hidden Abuse by Shannon Thomas. There are stages to healing and processing trauma. It helped me to talk about it. In fact I couldn’t stop. Are you having counselling? That’s a good step. Accepting the anger, absorbing it and letting it wash over you. Understanding and accepting that you have every right to be angry, it’s a normal response. The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk. Is another good book about trauma. I used to wake every morning to terror. The five o’clock frights I called them. The brain feels safe now and needs to process all the suppressed fear and trauma so that’s what’s happening here. Lots going on so be every kind to yourself. Absolutely zero contact and that includes social media and gossip, plus time, is the best way forward here.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Forsaken03

Everything you describe is normal. All normal reactions to the abnormal behaviour you were subjected to.

Put all your energies into prioritising yourself, treating yourself, taking time to absorb yourself into other enjoyable distracting activities and relaxations. It takes hard work to balance out the challenges of recovery from what you’ve suffered, with really maximising all your opportunities to treat yourself and enjoy life at every opportunity. Being patient with yourself as you go through these difficult times is invaluable. It takes a lot of patience to heal from anything, but your mind/body does get busy doing that healing for you, and in psychological healing the mind is busy trying to resolve all the psychological trauma you suffered, and thats what you are experiencing. There is no better time to take the best possible care of yourself and go easy on self-expectations. Baby steps. Do speak to your GP /others if you feel that would help, and post here where you know that all the other women here will understand. The nightmares are terrifying and I feel for you. Sending you strength and patience.

warmest wishes

ts

Forsaken03
      Participant

Good morning @Kip,@Twistedsister,

Many thanks for all of your advice, it’s invaluable when coming from sisters who understand exactly what I’m going through.

Lots of love

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content