Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Itwastimetostopit
      Participant

Can’t get legal aid
      So not only am I in debt but also gonna accrue more.
      I have to go through solicitor so no avoiding it

maddog
      Participant

Have you looked at Rights of Women? They are fantastic when you manage to get through. You may have some household insurance or car things which include a legal advice line. Hopefully you can get lots of free advice before you need to start paying.

also I know this is a big deal but some women I know represented themselves
      I know it is a big deal
      x

maddog
      Participant

I don’t know anything about this but you may find them helpful http://www.mckenzie-friend.org.uk/

Itwastimetostopit
      Participant

I’ve already started process 🙁 be worth every penny but just feel fed up.

It’s just letters sent to him are adding to cost
      I need a solicitor (Detail removed by Moderator). The solicitor was through a domestic abuse specific session.
      Although I’ve sought advice elsewhere if need injunctions.

Itwastimetostopit
      Participant

It’s one off fee for divorce it’s just everything else on top.

maddog
      Participant

Don’t let the solicitors twang letters between each other. Instruct your solicitor specifically not to. It’s the communication between solicitors that bangs up the bill. It’s a waste of time and money. No communication unless absolutely necessary! Try to keep out of court. Sometimes it’s impossible, but when there’s free advice, you can put off the worst.

KIP.
      Participant

I ended up paying way too much but I’ve cleared the debt now and I cannot help what happened. I just had to muddle through with a useless solicitor until I found the courage to sack her. Be ruthless. Insist on detailed bill and don’t waste time on useless correspondence with him x

Itwastimetostopit
      Participant

She already said she’s conscious of the cost to me.

Thank you for your reply’s

Iwon
      Participant

I had the same experience as kip exactly and ended up representing myself. Remember solicitors letters mean nothing ad without preference so can’t be used in court.

Basic divorce is 500 per person. That incluxds8chikd arrangement agreement. I downloaded off website and did myself. As long As kids live with you offer reasonable standard access if appropriate.

Solicitors care how much they earn not about you. That’s her prioroty. Can you get solicitor recommended by wa. Or is it to late.

The paperwork needed for a divorce is a consent order which basically costs 50 pound to lidge with court and do yourself. I paid my solicitor 10000000.

The consent order is facts about marriage e.g. where you live and what you both own and owe.

There is an arrangement of children form which starts facts name of children where they live now and where you plan for them to live.

I was a bit cheeky as I spent so much in my first c**p solicitor so got a free free half hours and let them explain what forms they would fill in for me. I then called local family court and asked for website to download.

I know it feels scary but reach out. Call rights for women. You have done the hard bit. Well done. Please private message me if I can help xxxx

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content