Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Starmoon
      Participant

There isn’t any dv specific counselors available where I live. There is standard private counseling and all sorts of things way out of my price range… I’ve seen a private counselor twice now.. it’s really pricey but I need something… she seems to be focusing more on my anxiety thought. really uncomfortably she made me do breathing exercises and I literally wanted to run out of there. I know I live with high anxiety but I really want to find someone to help me address the abuse and to help me believe it was abkuse.. focusing on my anxiety is actually making me think that I was responsible for the abuse because of it. I’m not sure if I should stick with her or find someone els… I feel like I need to address the issue before I focus on how it’s made me feel… I don’t know if that makes sense

KIP.
      Participant

Women’s Aid. They offer programmes but just five minutes with a women’s aid worker was better than expert counselling in some ways. They just understand and most have been though similar. Give your local office a ring and see if you can pop in for a chat x my private counsellor is £120 per hour. She saved my life but I can’t afford her at the moment but if I ever feel myself heading for a breakdown I know I can visit her. Even with all her experience and qualifications there’s something missing when you talk to someone who hasn’t been abused. It’s not a criticism because she talked me through PTSD nightmares flashbacks etc x start with women’s aid or similar x

Starmoon
      Participant

There isn’t anything available locally. I went around in circles trying to find some support a year or so back. The only thing they could find was the freedom program and a corse on how abuse affects children. I do want to do the freedom program eventually but I feel like it’s so black and while in its examples of abuse that I mite really struggle. I went to one session years back and left feeling more like he wasn’t an abuser as I couldn’t relate to the examples in the book xx

maddog
      Participant

If you can get yourself to a Freedom Programme you’ll find all sorts of women with any amount of experiences. I haven’t completed the programme but it was a relief to be there and amongst other women who understood the dynamics. It’ s so stupid that gps can only offer cbt. Often it’s like teaching the obvious to the uninitiated. It’a b****r finding appropriate help especially when what’s available can cost£££££££ and you need to believe in fairies if they’re going to help. I hope you find good support soon.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content