This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  freedomtochoose 6 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #72096

    We have had some family counselling sessions, myself with new partner, the e kids, and the kids dad both by himself and in with the kids. After 9 hours split into three weeks there’s a break, followed by more sessions for some of us, and the counselling person wants me to have a session with only the children’s father. My abuser.

    We are having the counselling because one child is depressed and suisidal and all children say they now want to live with me. Father is unwilling to consider this.

    I am afraid of having a session with the father but would that go against me? These sessions are provided by relate and I thought their policy was not to see couples together with history of dv or da. Help!

  • #72107

    I would not advise it. I’m pretty sure that due to your circumstances you would not be obliged to go along.

  • #72110

    I wouldn’t do the session. It’s your prerogative, you have to do what’s right for you. WA say they will never do anything that makes you uncomfortable or are just not ready to do. I would hope Relate have the same ethics.💕
    IWMB 💕💕

  • #72112

    I am unsure, I think you need to speak to Relate and gather more info, if the answer still does not present itself to you after doing this, speak to other appropraite people until you feel ok with your decision which ever way you go.

    I am hearing you feel forced into a situation you are totally uncomfortable with and that there is a child with suicial feelings. You need more info. Good luck flower x

  • #72118
     [email protected] 

    i was avised not to mediate, i thought that this might go against me but it didnt. its probably better to stick to the one script that he is abusive and for that reason communication will be scewed on his part. often these men have gotten away with their former tactics so many times they think they can hood wink the mediator. your children may need trauma therapy and no contact with him if their feeling like this. My gut tells me this is medical help not counselling if theirs suicidal thoughts. Definitely no contact im sure a court sheriff would also agree xx

  • #72141

    This may or may not help. I hope it does. I was sitting in the doctor’s surgery the other day and came across a helpline for young people (and also website and line for grown ups who are helping them). The name of the helpline is ‘hopefline’ you should find it if you google it.
    all best

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account