Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

I started counselling recently. Is it normal to feel worse before you start to feel better?

Eve1
      Participant

After my first session I want at all sure I was going to gel with the counselor and I remember posting on here about it and getting reassurance that it can take time to settle into. It is definitely worth persevering. It’s a process. I hope your next session is better for you

Eve
      x

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Hi walkerintherain, it’s difficult to tell isn’t it? I have had two counsellors and both have helped a lot. The first was very knowledgeable about dv and I learned a lot but she was quite challenging, the environment was very triggering and I was always scared of going but also quite dependant on her. Looking back with hindsight I can see this wasn’t ideal. My next counsellor however has been perfect for me. She made me feel safe from the first session and frequently told me that she could handle anything I needed to say and that I could leave it all there with her. It has been entirely self-directed and I’ve made enormous progress with her. It has still been very painful to face my deepest fears however. Don’t underestimate the enormity of what you’re doing. It takes great courage and is exhausting, but so, so worth it. You will gain yourself back. Of course what each individual needs is different, but I do believe it is crucial to feel safe to make any progress. This is an opportunity to experience a healthy, albeit therapeutic, relationship where you are safe to be yourself. Trust is very, very hard after what we have experienced so be gentle with yourself and go at your own pace xx

Confused123
      Participant

Hey HUn

Stick it out, will help u so much, it sprob upsetting confirming the facts of abuse thats natural but will also make u stronger

Serenity
      Participant

Hi Walker in the Rain,

I was told that it might make me feel worse at first, because you’re being encouraged to bring to the surface things which you have maybe buried for your own protection.

If you have a good counsellor, you will feel safe in sharing the information.

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

Thanks all.
      I really like the counsellor and I trust the environment and her skills.
      I guess you’re right Serenity, I’ve probably done s pretty good job of boxing everything up. I don’t think I realised how hard lifting the lid would be.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content