Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Pinkflower
      Participant

Hi all,
      It has been a while since I last posted. I was wondering if anyone had done any type of counselling or read any books that helped with coping with after affect of emotional abuse and having a n**********c ex and could offer help or point me in the right direction?

For the most part I am doing ok but I do feel deeply damaged. I feel like I turned toxic to defend myself and I really don’t recognise myself anymore and it is horrible. I feel crazy sometimes and that maybe I’m overreacting. Just feel lost x

KIP.
      Participant

Hi, Healing From Hidden Abuse is a great book about recovering.

The Body Keeps The Score is all about trauma x

I’ve had counselling and it’s really helped. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Mind Over Mood is another book, it’s about cognitive behaviour.

I thunk seeing a counsellor will help work out what’s going on and what therapy would be best for you to help recovery x

Pinkflower
        Participant

Thank you! How did you go about getting counselling? Is it expensive etc?
        I will take a look at those books x

KIP.
      Participant

I was referred by my GP and at one point I paid for counselling. Then I found a local charity that provided it free. The BACP.org.uk have a list of counsellors, it’s a good place to start

iliketea
      Participant

Try Caroline Strawson’s podcast on Trauma Recovery. Short bitesize summaries. Really insightful. She has a FB page too. There’s a booklist on here too. I’ll see if I can bump. or search back a few pages xx

Pinkflower
      Participant

Thank you so much! I will have a look x

iliketea
      Participant

Also, you could see if there is a Freedom programme running in your area. A lot have gone online. Or do generic one. x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content