Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      cupofcoffee
      Participant

I finally got the courage to phone up for counselling but unfortunately there are no slots available, so feel like I am back to square one! Anybody else have problems with long waiting lists?

feelingnumb
      Participant

I’ve had this problem too, huge waiting lists and then I phoned one that my doctor recommended to me cause she said they will definetely see you and the guy was basically like no we are a generic counselling service your needs are too specific??!! I just wanted to sit down in front of someone and get help, I know abuse is very specific but I have a history of depression too so I felt it wouldn’t be an issue getting seen. It can be quite disheartening when you realise you have to wait a long time to be seen but it’s the first step to healing yourself. I’m going to my doctor next week cause I desperately needtosee someone, I’m just so broken. I really find coming on here helps too though xx

cupofcoffee
      Participant

Thanks for your reply feelingnumb, yes this forum is really helpful to me too, and fingers crossed we both get counselling soon xx

KIP.
      Participant

I had to pay privately. Worth every penny. Just a few sessions to see me through a really bad time. I’m now using a local charity. Keep asking around your area. Google counselling service for domestic abuse. My local waiting list for NHS is 24 weeks and I don’t think they are specific to domestic abuse which is absolutely needed x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Already posted somewhere that I am on a 9th wait.
      It’s a worry as altho time helps, PTSD also shouldn’t be left untreated because it becomes worse in different ways, and causes long term damage.

We just have to hang on in there and do as much for ourselves as we can,and yes posting here, amongst women suffering similar does give us a shared safe space to process a bit and get validation and support, which you don’t get with counselling that’s not working for you.

So lets hope its worth the wait.

Warmest wishes ts

cupofcoffee
      Participant

Thanks KIP and Twisted Sister yes this forum is a godsend, don’t know what I would have done without it!

Shipoffools
      Participant

Hi cupofcoffee,

I too paid for private couselling, which I started almost immediately. I’m in no way rich at all…it cost £30 per hour session. It’s expensive compared to some things but I just thought I was worth the help…plus privately you can book the time and day you want easier….all the best

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties people are having accessing support. I know it’s not the same but I’m reading a very helpful and comforting book that I wish I’d read years ago so thought I’d just post the book in case other people might benefit too (it’s probably been recommended before). It’s by Lundy Bancroft and it’s the Daily Wisdom one.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content