Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Cantmakedecisons
      Participant

So I have my second counselling session today, the first was just form filling and meeting the counsellor. So today means I might actually have to talk! I know that’s kinda how counselling works – talking BUT I’m so nervous! I’m terrible at explaining, talking and reasoning this entire thing and not sure I’m even going to make sense.

How did any of you even start to talk about it? where do I start?

Wiseafter
      Participant

Hi, I was guided by the counsellor at my first session. She asked me some questions and that prompted me to talk. I was very nervous at first. I struggled at first, but she reflected what she had heard back to me so that I knew she was listening and had ‘heard’ me which helped me relax. She summed up our first session and shared some insight into what she thought I wanted to get out of the sessions and validated my feelings and experiences, which was spot on and that helped me relax. Like this forum, time with your counsellor is a safe space. It can feel strange to discuss things with a stranger at first, but that it is to be expected. The thing to remember is that counsellors practise ‘active listening’ which means they don’t do what normal people do in conversation, like saying something in between your pauses and they won’t tell you what to do. It can take a little bit of getting used to having that much focus on you, your feelings and your words and the silence is not because they are bored, or not listening, it is the opposite. I hope all goes well and you find it helpful. You are doing amazingly well by the way – x

Eggshells
      Participant

Can you just say what you have written on here? Your counsellor should be able to give you a starting point.

Try not to be nervous. Just let it all out. I hope it goes well for you. xx

Cantmakedecisons
      Participant

Thanks but it was cancelled for the next two weeks..

iliketea
      Participant

B****y hell! I’m so sorry. What was their reason? Can they do it sooner? How are you? X

Cantmakedecisons
        Participant

Counsellor is ill. I have to wait until the (detail removed by moderator).

I’m ok thanks, been in touch with a DV worker and she thinks I should either report recent and previous to police or at least get a non-molestation order but I’m nervous about both. I’m mulling it over.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content