Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Hopesprings
      Participant

I had my initial assessment with a counsellor today. I’m now on a waiting list. Sounds like therapy is going to be good for me I just hope my work schedule will allow me to.

mixed-up mum
      Participant

Hi Hopesprings – good for you – well done on getting this far – hope it works for you – keep in touch and let us know how it goes. 🙂 🙂 🙂

SaharaD
      Participant

Hi Hopesprings

That is good news. Do you know what type of counselling it is?

There are different types of counselling and counselling approaches.

I received specific DV/DA counselling from a DV/DA organisation. My counsellor listen and also asked me questions on what I thought about my situation that I may not have thought about before.

Some counselling is through the NHS via the GP or the IAPT mental health team. Some counselling is just through another organisation like Relate or a local community centre or Victim Support.

Some counsellors just listen and some steer you in a particular way to come to your own conclusions. Some counsellors ask you direct questions. Some offer coping/managing techniques, skills and strategies. Some don’t.

You can also find out if your counsellor is registered under the BACP, British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy http://www.bacp.co.uk/

Do you know how long the waiting list is?

My best advice to counselling is to the keep an open mind and go along with the process even though it’s painful.

Cheers SD

Hopesprings
      Participant

Thanks for the info 🙂 waiting list is about 6-8 weeks.

The counsellor is going to tailor it so I can make sense of my situation and lead a normal life.

Confused123
      Participant

Hey HUn

It will help so much, i know 6 weeks sounds like forever, but it will come around quickly, just now and again phone up and see if they have had any cancellations that u could take instead,

Serenity
      Participant

I was told my waiting period was 6 weeks, but I rang up in a state and asked if there was any way of shortening it, and they fast- tracked me and I saw someone in 2 weeks X

Hopesprings
      Participant

I’m not really needing to be fast tracked but I appreciate the info 🙂 I’m feeling in a much better place than I was when I initially enquired about counselling however I know I will benefit from it X

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi
      I’m new I have been in a realionship for (removed by moderator) where I was mentally and physical abused , my children also had it , I have left him with the help of my (removed by moderator) son , with out him I would never done it , but I am trying to get on with my life but struggle with memories, I am in a new realionship but I don’t know what is normal
      I need councilling but I don’t know where to start , been doctors and they gave me this web site

Serenity
      Participant

Call the Women’s Aid helpline.

They directed me to local DV support and they, in turn, directed me to DV counselling x*x

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content