Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Didi
      Participant

Hi all
      It’s been a long time since I regularly posted on here however I’ve continued to read posts as they offer so much valuable advice and still help me gain strength along my survival journey.
      One such post I read last year mentioned CICA and I decided to look into it and make a claim, despite having gone over the ‘claim within two years’ deadline stated I figured I had nothing to lose. I started the process in Oct last year by filling in an online form and, after providing them with additional information by email, they have today sent me a letter awarding me a substantial amount of compensation. I wouldn’t have thought about applying for this if it wasn’t for reading a post on here so I hope it helps someone. Onwards and upwards.
      Kind regards
      Didi xx

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Wow this is great news Didi, I don’t know much about this, it is great to share information like this. Well done on following through with it too, it is often easier to just let things go (mainly due to exhaustion of having to deal with abusers). So often the system seems unfair and weighted towards the abuser so it is great when information sharing and helping eachother achieves such positive outcomes. 🙂

KIP.
      Participant

Well done. It’s only what you deserve. I have posted before about CICA. Mine is still dragging on. You can also get a solicitor to do it for you. One I know charges 25 percent but if your too traumatised to deal with it then it’s better than nothing. Let the solicitor do it for you.

Borntobefree
      Participant

Well done Didi
      Hope it helps with your recovery

Iam claiming through cica I got a solicitor dealing with mine ..it’s just dragging X

iwillbeok
      Participant

This is a timely post- am sorting mine at the moment. I’ve not told anyone – even those who know what I went through. I guess I feel a little bit like a fraud – I haven’t had it as bad as some. No violence unless you include the repeated rapes…
      I don’t think I’ll get a big payout but it feels like some inkling of justice as I wasn’t able to press charges.

I also didn’t know anything about it til I read a post on here…

Good luck to others claiming.

Didi
      Participant

Sorry to hear that this process is dragging on for some of you. CICA give an 12 month estimate of when cases are usually completed so I was surprised to get a result just 3 months later, not sure that would have happened as quickly had I used a solicitor.
      Also, iwllbeok your experiences are yours and not comparable in any way to anyone else. You have a right claim for compensation and seek justice in your own way.
      When I think about it, it’s not just about the money (though it’s going to be handy for ongoing family court costs) it’s as iwillbeok says, it is a bit more justice…another authority recognising that we were wronged.
      Best wishes to all
      Didi xx

fizzylem
      Participant

Well done Didi, I have often felt the injustice of it all, I cant work, lost my job and my home as a result, I dont have my health. Now I’m on benefits trying to raise my child alone with on going hassle from my abuser – feel worn out. Would you be able to share anything about the process, what it entails? And does the abuser find out? Thanks

Didi
      Participant

@ fizzylem…and anyone else who reads this.
      I filled out a basic form online through the website and then waited for them to contact me. I do know that you have to have reported it to the police, but I don’t think it matters whether or not it goes to court just that it was reported and charges were brought. Also, they will not consider you if you are still living with perpetrator or any chance of reconciliation etc. They investigate all of this via police and other agencies based on information you provide so the more you can tell them the better.
      The abuser will not get notified of your application, the investigation or any compensation you are subsequently awarded. This claim is about you and for you only. I would recommend you keep it to yourself if there is any chance information about you can get back to the abuser. The less they know about anything the better.

Not sure if this link will show but here goes: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/criminal-injuries-compensation-authority

At the top of the page it has a link ‘Apply for compensation for a criminal injury’ Fill in as much as you can on the site however there was not enough room for me to put everything I wanted so as soon as they sent me a letter saying I was out of the deadline I then used that opportunity to fill them in on all the details. Bear in mind that ‘criminal injury’ has a far wider meaning than physical assaults.
      Good luck
      Didi xx

TillAllAreOne
      Participant

I’ve applied for mine (detail removed by Moderator) years ago, it’s still being reviewed. Such a drag. I reported the violence to the police (detail removed by Moderator). Not enough evidence as it was just my word against his.
      Has anyone else ever had to wait this long or had them decline your compensation? How much do you roughly get? Would appreciate any Infos.

🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content