Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      WhichWayIsUp
      Participant

With me, it’s pain. And it’s not a conscious (or helpful) choice of coping mechanism, it just happened. I’m in pain all the time. Headache, neck pain, shoulder pain. Some days it’s just background noise; other times it’s so intense I have to go to bed because I can’t move. And then a lot of the time it’s somewhere in between those two.

Does anyone else have physical pain because of the stress and anxiety? What other ways does the stress of coping show up for you?

x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi and yes. It’s so debilitating at times. It’s an affect of our fight/ flight response, caused by higher than normal chemicals released into our body. I have also literally been sick, forgetful, weepy and so very tired.
      There’s a list somewhere about the side affects of abuse, and they are not a figment of our imagination. Thankfully when we leave(so I’m told) many of the symptoms do go.
      IWMB đź’•đź’•

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Yes I do have physical pain on my shoulder. It isn’t normal, nothing happened to my shoulder, the pain shouldn’t be there. I went to see my GP and she told me the source is either due to psychological reasons or it is an infection. Of course it is psychological with me. She offered me
      ThermaCare, heat pads for neck and shoulders for effective pain relief through therapeutic deep heat. I put in on in the evening and through the night, it last 12 hours and is very effective.
      Since I’ve paid off my debts I also started to go to get myself a Thai back massage once a month which helps too.
      I also do abds diligently each morning, which helps to strengthen my back.
      The pain is almost gone.
      Next stop is the swimming pool to train my back and shoulders. Just need to loose a few pounds first to fit into my swimming suit.

Fudgecake
      Participant

High blood pressure, palpitations, fatigue, stomach issues, aching joints and feeling like I’ve aged a hundred years. Ain’t love grand?

Janedoeissad
      Participant

I left over 12 months ago and I still get days where I ache, I have a headache, I am exhausted, I get an upset stomach, I feel anxious, I therefore spend all day feel like I am being strangled.

Then there’s points where someone says or does something like my Ex and I get anxious and have a mini freak-out. Trips away used to be a nightmare so any time I am due to go away my anxiety goes nuts.

On the plus side though, I am free, I don’t answer to anyone and I am not half as stressed as I was, despite what my body is telling me!

diymum@1
      Participant

I have ups and downs but even if I see a letter from the legal aid board my joints go from head to toe. I can only concentrate on getting him well away from me its my only focus! not rational because ive seen him once for ten mins in court last year! were left reeling at the thought of them I cant even say my exs name out loud xx luv diymum

Shaz
      Participant

For me, the last few weeks I have had the following:

-tightness and pain across my chest
      -headache
      -racing heartbeat
      -palpitations
      -tension across neck and shoulders
      -flare up of my condition (similar to fibromyalgia)
      -memory loss
      -forgetfulness
      -feeling sick with fear
      -depression
      -anxiety
      -chronic stress
      -digestive problems
      -erratic eating
      -dehydration
      -inability to sleep or wake up/exhaustion
      -feeling hopeless and finding no joy in anything
      -crying at the slightest thing

This should serve as a reminder when I’m questioning my leaving. He has really made me suffer.

Xx

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I read recently that the signs of depression and domestic abuse are identical, is it any wonder that professionals missdiagnose, especially when we can’t / won’t open up about the cause of either.

missgiddypants
      Participant

I’ve been out a long time and since my divorce and leaving my marital home I have had a stress throat
      ,sometimes my throat gets that dry I end up coughing and choking ,all other aches and pains I put down to my age and my job

teabag
      Participant

I lost 2 stone. I couldn’t function, I was walking around feeling spaced out. Loss of appetite poor concentration, anxiety. If someone flinches I duck. Sometimes I can’t leave the bedroom.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content