Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I have just watched on catch-up the first episode of Dark Angel on ITV, the second episode being next Monday, I think.

It tells the story of Mary Ann Cotton in Victorian times, who killed up to 20 people, including members of her own family.

What’s really interesting is how well it portrays the personality of the abuser and what impulses drove Mary Ann to act as she did.

It’s worth watching, as it clearly portrays her motivations of material self-betterment, using people as stepping stones to get what she wants, and her lack of conscience.

It helped me see more clearly how the rotteness is really with them, and how innocent people can be ruined, if they aren’t alert to their true character.

There are two people so far who have sussed her out- her employer’s sister, and her own mother. As I found with my ex, even though he liked to act blameless and orojecf blame on to us, there was a whole litany of people who knew his real character and what he was capable of, but he his this information from me – I only found out during the divorce how many enemies he had made previously.

Xx

I’m all set to watch this tonight, the heating is on, nice dinner on standby, piping hot bath waiting in the wings, what a lovely evening X*X

Oh my god! I have just finished watching this, it is chilling………..It made me feel so scared and sick. Mary Ann was cruel beyond words. Her tactics reminded me so much of my ex’s game plan. She is now targeting the wealthy but vulnerable Mr Robinson, she has worked out her game plan, life insurance has been casually discussed, she is even getting the timing right when to arrive, when his protective sister is out of the way. She has found out what he wants to hear and likes and subtly said or did those things. The easy calculation that must go on in her mind to pull it all off, its really disturbing. She is plain evil. At the same time she is being controlled by the other man who uses her for sex with his cocky arrangonce. He too reminded me of my ex, (detail removed by Moderator).

My ex asked me once what is my ideal dream job. I thought it were a bit of a strange thing to come out with out of the blue. I now know he would have used that information in some sort of sinister endearing sort of way. The same as how Mary Ann found out that Mr Robinsons deceased wife used to put his slippers on the hearth and he liked that. Its a control tactic. I feel sick at this.

Serenity
      Participant

Isn’t it chilling?

Bit isn’t it positive, in that it helps us see it isn’t us? She went through so many victims, using the same tactics?

I think it was chilling- but helpful beyond words.

Yes, the bit where she questions the child about what Mr Robinson’s dead wife used to do that was special to him- putting his slippers on the fire- and she tried to replicate it! Such cunning! It struck me too. My ex was like that.

I love drama that teaches us truths- yet because it is shown to us through other actual
      characters , it cushions us. It teaches us in a more diffuse way. Xx

I just cannot believe people can really be so evil, I thought this sort of thing just happened in the movies. I believe my ex and his family members are the same way inclined as Mary Ann. If I had not been clued up & suspicious he would have conned me out of my house, all done with charm & a smile.

The abuser seems to know the tactics to use for the situation that offered an opportunity. 😲😲😲😲😲

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

Thanks ladies, tomorrow night’s viewing is now booked!

Have you watched the first one yet EeyoreNM? It will give you a real insight into a calculating, twisted mind and inncocent victims. I think the second episode is on tomorrow. X*X

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content