Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • #161873

      I’m now separated (detail removed by moderator), and the impact and scale of financial abuse is becoming clear.
      Is there somewhere I can go for advice? Ive tried lots of different places, but they all only want to discuss one thing (or charge you).
      The things are all connected
      1. Re-mortgage and husbands rights to house (including ending current fixed term mortgage)
      2. Student loans (for oldest DD)
      3. Universal credits
      4. Divorce and fees and charges
      Theres so many what ifs
      And now Ive seen how much the student loans are decreased, and impact on UC Im really unsure about taking a new job offer
      I cant afford to get this wrong

    • #161874

      Hi WildAngels,
      The house would be sorted in a divorce. What happens to it will depend on your individual circumstances but the starting point is 50/50 split of assets.
      The best person to discuss this with is a solicitor. They will give you advice on the divorce and the likely financial division. They can also advise on income claims. Look for a solicitor who does family law. Some offer a 30 minute initial free consultation.
      The reality is that for more in depth advice on your divorce etc you will either need to pay or ask if you are eligible for legal aid.
      As far as UC and student loans are concerned, you can also ask Citizens Advice. They have advisors who specialise in benefits and the advice is free.
      A student maintenance loan is assessed on parental income. The more you earn, the more you are expected to contribute. You will need some advice on your specific circumstances to see what is best for you.
      Good luck.

    • #161879

      Thanks @marmalade

    • #166283

      I went to financial counseling to deal with banks because it was overwhelming. They dealt with more than this. Ultimately, best option at the time as I was no longer living in house and had fled.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content