Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

Today, I went to a work meeting. It was very formal, a sit around the table set up where everyone had to contribute. Most of the people there I didn’t know.

I found myself speaking confidently and my thought processes were clear.

This is such a tremendous change for me. During the first half of my marriage, he succeeded in making me feel I was not at all clever. It’s amazing how a stealthy and clever abuser can succeed in doing this through covert methods. My vocabulary literally decreased, and I became childlike.

Then, when something came over me and I found the strength to go back to education, he made my life so hard that I became ill with a condition that gave me mind fog. I was still bad with this when I got my first lovely job.

I was always trying to disguise it at work, but I bet some days they must have thought I was on drugs! I was so slurred in my speech, and my mind wouldn’t work properly, due to this stress-related illness.

It’s been a long haul. I have had to try to heal from the abuse, and had to really focus on my health, but when I performed like that today, I realised that my mind was beginning to work normally again.

Being away from his abuse, my brain is working properly and developing as it should. Onwards and upwards!

Millionpieces
      Participant

Hi, glad to hear that.
      I had this feeling too this pass few days, even sometimes still flashing back but I feel much stronger, manage to think and manage my life back. Last few weeks ago I weep in my car on the way back from work, it doesn’t happen anymore, I can smile see the sun is out today and really enjoy is heart and soul. I hope this will be better, I don’t want to think to much what going to happen, I just live one day at the time.
      This forum help me so much.
      Thank you everyone..

Suntree
      Participant

Serenity.
      Well done you and thank you for sharing 🙂

So happy to read that Serenity 🙂 came on here feeling really low, so glad to find this new space for positivity and to read this post from you! x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content