Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Ilikechicken
      Participant

Does anyone else feel detatched and like numb. I know I love my kids and family etc but I dknt feel it like I used to, it’s more a number feeling. I just feel tired and exhausted and am now covered in what the drs think is a stress related rash. Is this normal?I have been left almost a year, but cant seem to feel much of anything, I just feel stress. I guess I am looking for some advice on how to improve so I can feel happiness and be fun for my kids. Xx

Cecile
      Participant

I am like this. I have weird skin rash also. It went away when he went on a long holiday. I also had lots of other minor symptoms, like weirdly fluctuating blood pressure. GP put me an anti-depressants and they are really helping, to my surprise, I had always been anti medication. I did have flashes of feeling odd today and realised it was happiness- I was walking with some animals in lovely weather, they were kicking bright coloured leaves up like children and they made me laugh.I was making happy future plans and I realised I had not felt like that for a very long time, or even felt anything other than dark black moods.

You need to nurture and repair your mind and spirit somehow. the help is out there, its a case of getting the right help for you.Feed your soul and repair the damage. Start with some self help books, I found Lundy Bancroft useful. These men have a very particular effect on us and we all share common symptoms of harm from them. I hope others on this forum can talk to you as well. You are so missing out on experiencing life fully when you you feel like this. To me to seemed grey and dark, now that I merging from the cloud of the prison of control everything is looking more colourful.Small things help- bubble baths with candles, special chocolate after the kids are in bed, time out just for you.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi I too also feel very detached, I no longer know if I even love or have love for my children & grandchild. I’d obviously be very very upset if something awful were to happen to them, but to knowing if I love them, I really no longer know. What I’ve been aware of just recently is a feeling of happiness too, I catch myself smiling and it makes me smile more. I’m not getting hung up having/not having certain feelings. Things will right themselves in time. I practice LOA (law if attraction) and find it has helped me these past few months since I left my oh.
      IWMB 💞💞

Fudgecake
      Participant

Hello Ilikechicken,

I understand exactly the numb feeling you have described. I too am numb and detached from people around me. I don’t like being amongst a lot of people ( particularly men ) anymore and I am having to force myself to do day to day stuff. I put up the Christmas tree last night but it was more automatic pilot with a “this has got to be done” attitude. I may aswell have been putting the bins out. Interestingly, I too am now developing a rash and it’s on my neck. Must be stress related.

I’m just kidding myself that I’m over the trauma…today I almost cried at work for no reason, I’ve been having nightmares about him, I get strong feelings of being vulnerable and I keep hearing his voice putting me down in my head whenever I do something. However, there are glimpses of the old me pre abuse sometimes and I’m not going around in a state of misery. But I know I’m not ok yet. I hope we all get to a point where we find our normal again, but right now I’m not sure what that is yet.

I’m dreading and at the same time looking forward to Christmas. While decorating the tree last night I came across a piece of tinsel that he’d got and liked. Nice memories ,as it wasn’t all bad, came into my head and that saddened me. I was tempted not to put it on the tree but I did. Why,I’m not sure. And yet, even now I can’t bear to open some boxes of my belongings to go through.They’re just sat in the moving boxes still sealed. So much of my belongings were left behind but there is a price to be paid for escaping. And now what is playing on my mind is “What is he doing with my stuff?” Has he sold it? Is he using it? I know if someone fled from me leaving all their belongings behind I would be mortified and ashamed.

I guess it’s a slow process. Onwards and upwards albeit feeling numb along the way.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

That’s funny I’ve had a blotchy rash on my lower legs. Thought I’d bedbugs😂😂

standtogether
      Participant

I also have a skin reaction like a heat rash, the doctor told me was probably stress. I’ve noticed it flairs up when I’m anxious or talking/thinking about my ex, which is a lot of the time at the moment, but I really hope this gets less

Ilikechicken
      Participant

Omg it’s so weird we all have a rash, my dr said its stress induced psoriasis but no matter what I use it isnt going away. Cecile I’m glad to hear that your coming out of things, thank you for the advice I think I do need to consciously try these things, I want to start feeling again and be a more fun mom. Fudge cake it’s so hard when the happy memories creep in there to isnt it. I really do hope we all start being our old selves and truly be free of them.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content