Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Goldenrainbow
      Participant

So it’s been a (detail removed by Moderator) years now since I got out of an abusive relationship and I’m doing pretty good overall but I still have some really bad days where I over think or I have moments where I kind of zone out and have flashbacks of stuff he did/said to me and little things can set it off like smelling a certain deodorant or seeing a car like his, then I’m left anxious for a few hours (this only started around 15months ago). Did anyone else have this?

KIP.
      Participant

Yes it sounds like trauma. PTSD. Did you have any counselling? The Body Keeps The Score is a good book about trauma. Often a new trauma will trigger old trauma. Was there anything stressful happened 15 months ago? Good counselling and tacking the traumatic events should help shift those unresolved emotions and feelings x

Goldenrainbow
      Participant

I got postnatal anxiety after having my baby which I think was brought on by the stress of sorting things with solicitors, police etc so that might of triggered other things. No I haven’t had counselling but I think its something I need to consider. I’ll have a look at that, thankyou x

KIP.
      Participant

Yes definitely speak to your GP about counselling. There’s a huge waiting list so if you can afford to go private then I’d start there and you can choose someone who is tailored to your experiences but know what you’re experiencing is normal after an abusive relationship and it can lie dormant for years and then come back to bite us when we least expect it to so it’s important to deal with the trauma and resolve it. Yes child birth can be a major factor. I too was diagnosed with post natal depression but like you I think it was a trigger from past trauma x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content