Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Footballfan1
      Participant

I have been disaccociating for around 5 months now.
      The episodes were highly stressful, I was tearful and on edge.
      Yesterday and today, I’ve been disassociated in a positive way.
      It feels strange, but I feel really happy and confident.
      I feel like I’m on a high (without taking any medication).
      Everything seems to be going my way, almost like luck is on my side.
      Does anyone have any experience of this?
      I seem to disaccociate more when it snows, no idea why? 🤔

Moonlit Night
      Participant

Disassociating is a survival strategy; it’s a trauma response so, yes, it’s positive in that it’s you brains way to help protect you from a highly negative reality.

It’s a way of disconnecting yourself, to not allow information to join up about your environment, to help you cope with irreconcilable conflict and cognitive dissonance.

Whilst it’s a perfectly normal response to trauma it also means that you’re not safe.

Twisted Sister
        Participant

I wish someone would enlighten court about this very serious harms that they allow, and now journalists will be allowed also to see it, how much more frightening can it get for a woman than that?

Footballfan1
      Participant

Hi thanks for the replies,
      The nice feeling only last 1 day then yesterday, it was really horrible.
      I felt like I had drank too much caffeine, jittery and on edge.
      I had a headache and couldn’t bring myself to do a lot.
      I hate the feeling, I feel out of control.
      Today I feel like it has lifted, I’m aching all over and feel washed out but at least the dazed feeling has gone.

I think my brain is gearing me up for something dangerous that likely won’t happen.
      My ex was contacting me, and did some scary things.
      He would be worse the longer he started away for.
      This time is the longest he hasn’t been in contact.
      I think I’m preparing myself for the threat,but it might never come.
      After danger has gone, your body releases the extra adrenaline, but I guess for me, because the threat doesn’t happen, it stays in my system unable to be released?

That’s just my theory anyway.
      I do have an appointment with a therapist and I will offered CBT therapy, so hopefully I can talk it all through then.
      I just hate feeling like I’m not in control of my body or brain. Xx

Twisted Sister
        Participant

It is terrible what adrenalin and cortisone do to us, our brains, our bodies and one of the best counter-measures to it is exercise. Normally, in evolutionary terms (which is why we have these adrenalin rushes), it would be our body’s best way of preparing for fight/flight, and pumps us with huge amounts of energy, and I have found that the best ways to make it stop is to do anything energetic. Anything thats physical and hard work, from walking fast, to skipping on the spot, doing star jumps, running, cycling, whatever you do that you can manage or prefer. The exercise disperses the adrenalin and your body gets flooded with endorphins which are good for brain and body, plus bonus fitness for heart! 🙂

If you know he can’t reach you, then you can start to feel safe, and that will mean that over time your body and mind will start to calm and slow down. Once you start to really feel safe therapy can help done at a pace that you can manage, often quite slowly.

Take good care of yourself, indulge yourself, learn what you need to help you the most.

warmest wishes

ts

Footballfan1
      Participant

Thank-you so much TwistedSister
      My friend took me to 2 different exercise activities over the weekend, with our kids.
      It was hard work getting through, but I feel it definitely helped me with the episode.
      I feel able to get everything ready for work and school, but Friday I was a wreck and couldn’t think about organising anything like that.
      The exercise definitely helped like you said x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content