Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      EbonyRaven
      Participant

So, I got a half day to go to a legal surgery run free of charge at a domestic abuse centre near me. I explained when I called that I needed my paperwork looked at to see if was ok to submit, and help to know exactly what I should send.

I got there and met the solicitor. After I explained what I needed she started to tell me what she as my solicitor would do, and I had to stop her and explain that I don’t qualify for legal aid and ask how much it would be likely to cost. Well she was talking about barristers and the like and a starting figure of about £4,000.

I explained that I can’t in any way, shape or form, afford that. I just about get by as it is. Then I repeated that I had come along for someone to check my paperwork and explain to me what exactly I needed to submit.

She skimmed maybe 3 paragraphs from the 90 odd I’d written (it was difficult to stop), and told me it would probably be ok. She also gave me the name of one form I’d need to submit.

It would have been nice if she could have looked at my statement in a little more detail and told me if there was anything that should be removed or changed.

Hopefully it will be effective.

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Had to rant! Just felt like she was there to get legal aid clients for her practice, and as soon as she discovered I’d not be able to pay she couldn’t wait to get me out the door.

Then I get home and he’s gone and got loads of lager on the never never from the local shop, is slurring and then brings up on the TV screen his console messages showing where he says I love you to his latest supply, and she messaged back the same.

It’s disgusting. It doesn’t hurt in a ‘cheating’ way, but I can’t help feeling the anger of how quickly and easily I’ve been replaced. Only a few weeks ago he was telling me that he does still love me, even though I don’t love him any more, and he still calls me pet names. Gah!

Ayanna
      Participant

I had the same experience with these free legal advice places.
      Have you tried the NCDV?
      They were the only ones who were serious at that time and helped me to write my statements properly for the non molestation and occupation orders.
      I got a lot of information from google, different forums and also cheap online legal advice.
      I also found a lawyer through my union, who was very helpful when the anxiety during the awful divorce was extremely high.
      I got bits and pieces of informations and I puzzled them together.
      I hardly slept. I was on my case 24/7.

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Thank you Ayanna. I hadn’t come across them before. Just having a look at their site now.

I’ve been the same, trying to write it up has been horrible, so many triggers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content