Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

I’m about to file for divorce on unreasonable behaviour.
      Did anyone else feel the need to edit/omit information on their divorce petition?
      I still feel like I’m walking a wire with his behaviour even though I’ve left the marital home. I fear he might not co-operate if he feels the information is false (even though it isn’t) as we won’t acknowledge some of his more extreme behaviours.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, take it slow and get some legal advice. My husband has an assault conviction and I was told one incident of domestic violence is enough to divorce for unreasonable behaviour. perhaps stick to one incident that he cannot dispute that is enough for your divorce. I’m assuming he will get the chance to write lies and deny everything so maybe keep it simple. Mine is refusing to sort finances making it difficult at every turn so I have backed off and am gathering my strength. Unless there is an urgency to divorce, wait until you are strong enough to deal with any horror he throws back x

kitty
      Participant

I’m doing my divorce myself without solicitor. I’m sorting financial stuff by way of property adjustment order which you can apply for with divorce. Also, there are lump sum orders and a few others I can’t remember. I will get court to decide as he won’t do anything.
      If there is a conviction he cannot dispute that and it will probably be enough even if he disputes the rest.

Serenity
      Participant

Stupidly, I used less severe accusations in the petition.

For some stupid reason, I think I felt sorry for him.

Don’t do what I did. Tell it at it was. They see your kindness as weakness X

Confused123
      Participant

HI Hun

I just stated reasons which showed how abusive he was, it doesn’t matter if it annoys them or not its the truth, my solicitor said just put main points . I had lots of main points and selected 5 points I think (detail removed by moderator)

Ayanna
      Participant

There are 5 reasons for a divorce petition. On these grounds can a divorce be spoken by the court.
      It is important to be the first to hand in the petition.
      I was not the first.
      He handed in the divorce before I could and my lawyer was an a.. h.. who did not advise me. I was deeply traumatized and nearly killed myself in the process of the divorce.

I also had very little money, so could not afford a legal battle.
      He sponges off the system and got everything for free. He had all the advantages and good free lawyers.

I got divorced for unreasonable behavior because he handed in the petition first. There was no way I could reverse that back on him, although I presented all the evidence.
      This is how this system works. They do not consider what happened. They are not interested. And they support the abuser. Be prepared for that.

The Family Court is a nasty place, full of awful people who aim at abusing vulnerable women.
      I felt as if I was in some outdated place, that had been spared from development and modernization when I went through their undeveloped procedures.
      Every tribe away from civilization has a better legal understanding than the Family Court.

Anonymous
      Inactive

My ex-h tried to get in there first. As he does not know where I live, he had to send it to my solicitor, who I told to refuse it and did my own one. You don’t have to go into lots of details.

Ayanna
      Participant

That is a great advice, Freedoms. I was too broken from the abuse and did not know I could do that. My lawyer was a (detail removed by Moderator)
      It does not have any impact on my life but it upsets me a lot.

kitty
      Participant

I got in first as I got married abroad and had a certificate sent to me after I emailed the registrar (with the help of google translate). It was free and arrived in two days too! Royal mail has got nothing on the (detail removed by Moderator) postal system lol.

Ayanna
      Participant

Well done Kitty!
      We need to get a divorce advice line here for the women 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content