Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Eyeswideopen
      Participant

I’ve always felt pretty strong through it all despite feeling heart racing, tense shoulders and like I have poison running through my veins when suffering abuse. Today I confided with a friend who suggested I contacted GP for some pills. She said she has taken them on and off to deal with work stress and it really helps her. Does anyone have any experience with it? I don’t think I’d be diagnosed with depression but maybe it helps grey rocking?!

nbumblebee
      Participant

Ive been diagnosed with accute anxiety disorder without telling my dr why they actually didnt ask but i was prescibed a low dose anti anx/depression med i took it for a while but honestly didnt feel much different they have upped my dose but now im too scared to take it.
      Thats just me im stupid and dont want to accept help. What I will say is that dr was lovely didnt push didnt ask too many questions but was willing to listen.
      If you feel its what you need right now then go and talk to them see what they recommend you have been so brave for so long maybe you just need a helping hand to ease your pain and allow you to re gain that strength sending hugs xx

maddog
      Participant

It’s absolutely worth speaking to your gp about the physical symptoms you’re getting. I’ve taken meds for anxiety and depression for many years, and for me, they work. I think the meds can be very helpful in reducing the awful symptoms giving a bit of space for finding alternative ways of reducing anxiety. Your GP may also be able to refer you for counselling. Many people also find yoga or some other physical exercise helpful.

I think that medication is a really useful tool. There are no magic bullets. Most importantly, remember to keep breathing. It’s something I often forget to do!

orchid7
      Participant

Agree about speaking to gp but if you don’t feel quite ready to take prescribed medication, Kalms one a day are really helpful and lots of people really get on with them they are herbal xx

Mellow
      Blocked

I think it’s a personal thing some people don’t think they need it or can be in denial as I was but realised I need it .i have children and noticed myself being very irritable I was also accessed and got a high score on anxiety I do think they help me I had them in the past when I was ok but after a decade long abusive relationship I felt it was needed

Eyeswideopen
      Participant

Thanks everyone. I’ll reach out to GP and see if I can get accessed for complex ptsd or similar and see what happens. Dont want to just ask for pills but see what they assess. Hopefully wont be waiting in nhs queue too long!!

maddog
      Participant

There’s a lot of support and help out there. It’s quite a trip taking it all on board. Keep reaching out. Often it’s as though all the buses arrive at once.Take the nearest bus to take you out, keep communications open and start navigating your way. Every organisation offers something different.

StrongLife
      Participant

I’m on anti anxiety- they work solidly. Can recommend them. Antidepressant worked then I got allergic to them and came off of them. Never tried again. I’m also in therapy (as I can get in past the waitlists)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content