Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      R.e.s.p.e.c.t
      Participant

I am a Domestic abuse survivor. That is the first time I have ever said or rather written that down for anyone beyond my immediate family to read. Thank you for approving my request to join this forum. Joining is the first step in what I have come to realise is likely a long journey I must take to healing. I have lived in a bubble to protect myself and my children from the effects of a very violently abusive relationship and the consequences of leaving. Many years later, the cracks of that abuse have begun to manifest in my children and I. I am at the point I know I cannot go on without confronting it and as I am possibly an introvert as a result of learning to internalise my hurt, writing is my step to recovery. I sort this forum out because I see others like me and feel safety in numbers with no worry of the impact on my immediate circle. I will write my story it in three parts and post on the relevant boards “life with my Abuser” “My great escape” and “how is this still affecting my life”. This is a first step of faith I am taking to overcome. I thank you all for sharing your stories. Those of use who endured in silence are emboldened by your courage to speak out

Wants To Help
      Participant

RESPECT to you 🙂

I have found that speaking out and sharing my story has helped to heal me and empower me and has led me to be able to help others. I think you will find this so helpful too. My personal belief is that abuse changes us forever, yes the scars (emotional and mental ones as well as physical) do fade but they don’t go completely. I have lived in the Recovery stage for a very long time now, but I am not Recovered. However, this has not stopped me from living a life of my choosing, a life of freedom and a life of choice.

Stay with us on this forum, it will help you so much x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi R.e.s.p.e.c.t

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. I hope you find the forum a supportive place to be.

It took a lot of courage to reach out for support on the forum, I hope you feel able to share more once you are ready.

If you feel like you are in need of some additional support, you could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (open 10am-6pm every day). They won’t tell you what to do, but can discuss your situation and signpost you to other support that’s relevant for you. You can access the chat
      service here: https://chat.womensaid.org.uk/

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content