Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Camel
      Participant

I know this forum isn’t designed to give legal advice. But I think it would be handy if there was general information available.

Some things that come to mind…

Definitions of abuse.
      Clare’s Law.
      How to divorce an abusive partner and division of assets.
      Your rights when a partner refuses to vacate the home.
      How to find a solicitor, how much it could cost and payment options.

maddog
      Participant

Our safety on these forums is paramount. A perpetrator’s legal team could easily be casting around this forum. The moderators are well aware of this. We can PM each other. We can’t discuss these things openly because of the risk. We shouldn’t discuss our cases openly on any forum because they are being watched and moderated by the opposition.

Camel
      Participant

Hi maddog,

Totally agree, safety is number one, but I’m not talking about offering legal advice. Just a resource where someone could click on a link instead of having to trawl the internet. So if someone suggests Clare’s Law they could include the link. Or if someone is considering divorce they could look up the procedures.

KIP.
      Participant

It’s a good idea but practically I don’t think it would work. The trouble is the forum is used by women from different countries and there are very different laws and procedures depending where you live.

Camel
      Participant

True, I hadn’t thought of that.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Yes it is a good idea to have a knowledge database with various practical advice available.
      Women’s Aid has been very proactive, a lot is already covered under the Survivors Handbook on Women’s Aid main page.

The Survivor’s Handbook

• Definitions of abuse.
      —> Survivors Handbook, General Informations, What is Domestic Abuse?

• Clare’s Law.
      —> Survivors Handbook, Your Legal Rights, Police and the Criminal Prosecution Service, the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme.

• How to divorce an abusive partner and division of assets.
      —> Not covered specifically…I haven’t found anything, I think only a solicitor or legal advice services can provide this information such as Rights of Women or your local Women’s Aid in helping to find a solicitor educated in DA.

• Your rights when a partner refuses to vacate the home.
      —> Survivors Handbook, Your Legal Rights, Getting an Injunction

• How to find a solicitor, how much it could cost and payment options.
      —> Survivors Handbook, Your Legal Rights, Getting an Injunction, Funding for Legal Actions.
      How to find a solicitor you go to Information-Support on Domestic Abuse, Useful Links, Legal Advice, The Law Society provides a list of solicitors.

Useful links

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions. We are always looking for ways to develop the Forum so ideas are appreciated. Unfortunately we are limited by funding. As HopeLifeJoy has mentioned, the Survivor’s Handbook is a resource which covers some of the areas. Thank you to you all for your ongoing support on the Forum.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Camel
      Participant

Thanks Hope and Lisa for pointing out the handbook, I didn’t know it was there. I’ll be mining it for info, that’s for sure.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content