Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Escapee
      Participant

I am so mistrustful, I can’t look at a man without wondering what awful behaviour they’re hiding behind that seemingly normal facade. Even couples, I look at them and wonder if he’s another abuser behind closed doors.

I’m guessing this is normal after being in a long-term abusive relationship but does it pass or does the suspicion always remain?

Xxxx

Fudgecake
      Participant

I do this too!

HunkyDory
      Participant

Me too… x

Yellowflower
      Participant

I do too. I look at friends relationships in a new light now it’s shocking when you see it for what it is x

KIP.
      Participant

It does pass and there are nice men in the world. My dad is a gem. I think it’s only natural. If you were savaged by a dog, you would be very wary of dogs for quite some time. It’s also a confidence thing. Once that returns you have the confidence in your own judgement and decisions. My therapist describes an iceberg that has been picked away to nothing with an ice pick and slowly over time it will return to its original size. Little by little x

Lightness
      Participant

It does get easier. At the start we are so vulnerable and we don’t know what to believe anymore (that was my experience anyway). I have met some really lovely men and also some overtly and covertly bad men. As time goes on, and if we put in the work, I think we get much better at trusting our guts, seeing the red flags and also seeing what healthy relationships look like. I’m a far better judge of character now than ever before. People reveal themselves eventually, one way or the other
      Lx

Escapee
      Participant

Thank you my lovely friends.

It’s good to know that I’m not alone in looking at everyone differently, particularly men.

And it’s good to know it does pass and there are decent men out there.

Xxxx

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content