Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

When my ex left, he took the dog.

This was a dog we’d had for (detail removed by moderator) I had chosen him at the shelter, I had toilet trained him and – because my ex eventually grew weary of getting up to walk him ( this breed needs lots of exercise), I ended up doing so, in between taking the kids to school and going to work.

I bought this lovely dog all his comforts. A soft bed, a few toys, and a lovely bone every week. I cuddled him and was gentle with him. He’d had a tough past: he’d been found in a ditch, malnourished.

My ex took him for walks in the evenings, but I know that he did this because he used the dog as a people magnet. My ex liked to impress strangers, and people would often stop to comment on this lovely dog.

When we went out as a family with the dog, I hated how he yanked the dog’s lead. I bought the dog a little travel bowl, but my ex would ignore this, and empty the dog’s food onto the ground for him to eat it- as if he thought I was stupid for treating the dog so well.

After he left, a friend saw him shouting at the dog really aggressively, when he thought Boone was watching. I was also told by my son a year or so ago that the dog was irinating in the house. For a toilet trained dog, this. Oils we’ll be a sign of stress?

A friend told me this week that she saw him with the dog, and he was very rough towards him.

My ex is often very falsely attentive to the dog in public, so I don’t think anyone would believe me if I reported it. As with domestic abuse, he keeps it very secret.

My heart aches for this poor animal, who had such a tough start in life and is now living with an abuser. I wish did never chosen the did. Maybe he’d have found a proper home if I hadn’t chosen him.

My ex’s father has a history of neglecting and abandoning animals ( not in this country). But my ex had gone on about getting a dog for ages and said how he lived dogs, and I never imagined he’d be like this with a dog.

Liquorice
      Participant

Oh serenity i feel your sorrow, its aweful, we too have dogs that are often the scape goats for his moods and i feel dreadful when i dont say stop ot but i know what would happen, poor animals they are so inocent. Is there no way you could get the dog back? X

Jupiter
      Participant

Hi Serenity

I love animals too and feel sorry for you worrying about him.

Is there any way to check up on the dog via rspca friend or neighbour to give you some peace of mind? If you had proof of neglect or bad treatment you could take action to protect him. Maybe you dont know his address? Can the same witness observe the animal for you? Perhaps you could ring or e mail rspca for some advice then you feel you are doing something positive for the dog?
      Jupiter x

WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

I was badgered to get a dog even though I tried to reason that our lifestyle wasn’t conducive to giving a dog everything it needed.
      I was given an ultimatum that either I help pick one or he’d come home with a puppy. I knew he’d probably come home with a dog too large for our property so I reluctantly helped him pick a dog.
      He promised to train it but I ended up taking the dog to classes, picking out a diet that would help with a skin complaint typical of the breed and paid most of the vet bills.

After I left, I nipped to the house while he was out. The dogs skin was dry and itchy and was holding itself like it’d been hit on the back end. He enjoyed all the cuddly side but took none of the responsibility for the proper care. I’m not sure where the dog is (I was unable to take it with me) but I really hope he had it adopted.

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

It’s so sad that innocent pets are caught up in abusive situations too and it’s often hard to bring them out with us. My daughter was biting her arms at one point because she was so distressed at how her dad was treating her beloved cat. Luckily we managed to get it back and it’s treatment definitely showed. Now the cat is happy and plump again with glossy fur and enjoying our new home. Abusers aren’t capable of taking responsibility for themselves let alone dependants or pets. All beings are simply meaningless commodities to them.

Falling Skys
      Participant

My heart goes out to you, my dog was all that gave me love in the house. He had it put down while I was a work.

I think you should tell the RSPCA your concerns and what you are being told, if nothing else it will be on record and will build a case.

FS xx

Serenity
      Participant

Thanks all, and sorry for my previous typing errors.

I meant to type that a toilet- trained dog urinating in the house is obviously a sign of stress?

I think I might call the original dog shelter and ask for their advice. I can’t bear the thought of this pup being mistreated.

Thanks again.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content