Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mantra
      Participant

I cant believe I am doing this but I am in such a mess & deliberately driving those that care away from me to punish myself & because I find it difficult to believe them & need to test them.I feel like I am going mad,I cant expect anybody to believe me , I dont even believe myself.

backtome
      Participant

You are in the right place if you need people to believe you hun. Post on here and also call the helpline if you can. I’m not sure what your specific circumstances are (I’m one of the lucky ones who gets away with it quite mildly) but everyone in the forum is here to support each other. x

mantra
      Participant

thank you for answering me,it made me bawl my eyes out.

Ayanna
      Participant

Welcome here!
      Do you make excuses for your abuser?
      Do you defend your abuser’s actions?
      Then you have Stockholm Syndrome.
      What you write in your post sounds as if you have been gaslighted really well.
      It takes some time to believe yourself again.
      Post here, it will help you to validate your thoughts and feelings. xx

mantra
        Participant

yes I do, & I cant tell anyone that we both know or my young adult kids because I dont want to them to think badly of him. I went to counselling to get help because I was so confused after leaving ,after many years of leading a double life where I was terrified & desperately unhappy (any friend that suspected, I cut off ) & he asked if it was ok to write in my notes that I was ‘high risk’ as a result of psychological abuse. I was deeply shocked but (detail removed by moderator) weeks later feel even more that I am being dramatic,watched too many movies & am unhinged.

backtome
        Participant

Are you still receiving your counselling? If not I’d maybe re-visit that. I also struggle with the thought that I’m “just being dramatic” as I’m told by all my friends and family that I am quite a dramatic person but I’ve described his behaviour over and over to all different people and they all say even though he’s doing it in a very subtle way, it IS ABUSE.

As Ayanna said, keep posting here, if only to get your thoughts out somewhere.

xx

mantra
        Participant

I have only one more counselling session left out of the 6 I was allocated. People just dont understand it,it sounds crazy,he gave a sealed letter when I left smiling & telling me that I should open it in the future & I would see he was right & he knows exactly why I am doing this & it is all in the stars, he understands it,I am unstable, this is not me but I will understand, as he does, one day when I am better

KIP.
      Participant

Hey there. I hid my husbands illegal dysfunctional abuse from our children for years. That is exactly what abusers want us to do. They thrive on our silence. There is a book called ‘Living with the Dominator’ by Pat Craven. Also, please get in touch with your local women’s aid. They can explain the dynamics of abuse. There is nothing wrong with you apart from the trauma he has left you with.

KIP.
      Participant

Google ‘trauma bonding’ x

mantra
        Participant

thank you I will try to do that,it has taken me over a year to get this far after leaving

mantra
        Participant

i thought face to face womens aid was just for refuge, will they see me ?

mantra
        Participant

i looked up Trauma Bonding – sobbing again, he used to buy me presents & arrange suprises that if i refused he would go crazy but i didnt want any presents I jsut wanted to see my daughter that he had banned all contact with or mention of to me & my other 2 children. The presents were tiny bright moments when I thought maybe he was feeling better & we could talk about it but that was never the case.He told me everything he did was to protect us & for the good of the family & to trust him.

Serenity
      Participant

When I first began posting here, I had to list his behaviours and ask people to verify that they constituted abuse.

I was so used to him denying it, blaming me, twisting reality and hiding it from public view that I felt I was going mad.

If it’s sending you mad, it’s a sure indication that you’re being gaslighted.

You’ve come to the right place for validation and support. We’ve all lived through such hell.

KIP.
      Participant

Yes, they will see you. Ring your local women’s aid. There is usually a duty worker who can have a chat and there’s the helpline number on here who can point you in the right direction x refuge is separate. You don’t need to go into refuge to get the help you need x

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content