Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Cantmakedecisons
      Participant

I felt so strong this morning but now it’s dark I’m a mess gain. I’m a grown woman in her (detail removed by Moderator) and I’m scared of the b****y dark! Ffs I need to get a grip.

I really want to sleep after not sleeping last night but I’m not sure I can trust my eyes to close.

Hawthorn
      Participant

No one here is going to laugh at you. I’ve certainly been there too. I slept with a light on for some time after I left, still do the odd time. It doesnt matter how old we might be, sometimes we need looking after. Take care of yourself like you would a small child who was upset, that helped me. I’d hug myself tight, cuddle a hot water bottle, eat a treat, have nice bath and sleep with the light on. Listen to a bedtime story or a podcast to help distract you and nod off. It comes in waves, dont beat yourself up for hitting the bottom, an upward swing is coming xx

Watersprite
      Participant

I’m not laughing either -sending you support. We’ve lived with abuse the threat has been real and it’s still high for many of us even after leaving. So we have to develop self soothing even more when the threat is still present. Mine is my bed first a teddy bear pretty lights candles baths . Nothing healthy is silly if it helps x*x

Cantmakedecisons
      Participant

Thanks for understanding. Feel so stupid!

Dawn will come and atm that’s the only thing that is certain.

I did try and sleep today during the day but I think I’m just in hyper vigilant overdrive and couldn’t nap.

I’ve started looking at somewhere new to move to today, thinking a flat might feel safer.

Watersprite
      Participant

Great plan – good clear thinking you are doing amazing. Every new dawn is a new opportunity x

gettingtired
      Participant

I’m the same, if I’m ever alone in the house I’ll always leave a landing light on.
      I never understood before why grown adults still had teddies but I think when I leave my partner I’m going to get at least one to cuddle at night! No judgement here x*x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello, I’m a grown women who sometimes sleeps with cuddly toys!! Iv got a torch and My heart thumps off I hear anything in the night and I find just having a soft toy I can feel and cuddle and stroke the soft fur sometimes makes me less anxious.

Anonymous
      Inactive

A big hug for you!
      Definitely no judgement. I was very scared after separating. Any noise would terrify me at night. I still get scared sometimes. But nothing like at the beginning when I was finally trying to set boundaries. A flat should help. You’ll have people close by.
      Wishing you the best xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Oh hon. I totally get that. Is there any way that you can light up the garden? Will any of the lights in the house light it. You are really not alone. In the past I couldn’t sleep unless it was pitch dark. Now I can’t sleep without enough light to see the features of the room. Of course you are going to be frightened with everything that’s going on.

Its dark again now so just wondering how you are doing?

KIP.
      Participant

I slept with the light and a radio of for a long time. I also rang the Samaritans it’s free to call just to hear a voice and there is the national domestic abuse helpline and nhs mental health helpline. Reach out for help wherever you need it. Count backwards from 100 in 7s. Look around you to the left and find an object and colour. Look right and find another object and colour. Keep distracting yourself x do you have a counsellor?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content