Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Janedoeissad
      Participant

I have started counselling (amongst other things!) and I am starting to realise I get my self worth from “rescuing” people and being responsible for them.

In researching this I have come across the Drama cycle, I have found learning about it has made me understand how my abusive relationship functioned. I have always understood the cycle of abuse but this drama cycle information has reinforced that message. I recommend people taking a look at it.

I am starting to get my head around this cycle and what that has meant for a lot of relationships in my life. I am now in the process of “cutting apron strings” for a lot of people who have become far to dependent on me. In fact, even my Ex was screaming at me to rescue/save him, in a very abusive manner. Ultimately I would never save or rescue as he was both a victim and a perpetrator. I hope that makes sense.

Poodlepower
      Participant

I can relate, my partner acted like I was “evil” if I didn’t do exactly what he wanted me to, when he wanted it. He would tell my my “behaviour” was making him ill. This was usually in response to me needing to go to sleep or asking for just 10 minutes of “me” time to read or tidy up a bit. He made me feel terrible for even going to work, spending all day in bed until my return. He was massively dependent on me and refused to look for help elsewhere. I thought I could handle it and make him happy, rescue him from his unhappiness. He said just holding me made his mental scars heal and would force me to spend hours in bed being cuddled, sometimes over 18 straight hours. I just couldn’t cope and when I tried to negotiate he became violent and abusive.

I’ll research Drama Cycle

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content