Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Catjam
      Participant

Is there a link between dyslexia and abuse? Mine is severely dyslexic and has been with a tutor for a few years now who is also trying to teach him how to speak to people. He was severely bullied as a child and by his family. But I know from research that they process things differently.
      He is trying to convince me that this is to blame and he honestly didn’t know what he was doing was wrong. He reckons he is harsher with me because I am the only person he has allowed to get close and it scares him.
      I still think that how you choose to interact with someone is a choice. Even if I am really angry or upset, I still know how I am speaking or when my tone might be off.
      I asked him if accusing me of cheating or being jealous and threatening are part of it?
      My head is ready to leave but my heart is struggling. Hopefully starting with counselling from my local support group will help me process things better.

KIP.
      Participant

Absolutely definitely not. There is never an excuse for domestic abuse. Many people have dyslexia and other difficulties but they definitely do not abuse. Abuse is a choice.

Cuppatea
      Participant

Couldn’t agree more with KIP.

It’s always a choice. I know my ex would actually not admit to the things he’d say in anger. As though I am making these things up when in reality they did happen.

It takes time for the heart to realise, but know you are worth so much more. You deserve to be respected, cherished and loved. Now you don’t want to waste your time with someone like this (seems very manipulative). When people show us for who they are (actions over words) we must believe their actions. Sadly people can be evil. And he’s an adult now. Instead of saying I’ll work on myself he wants to blame other people – this shows lack of maturity from his side. You need a man. Not a boy :*

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content