Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Delila
      Participant

It’s incredible how I understand that some of my health issues were caused by him, now that it’s over. I had been suffering from anxiety and insomnia, bruxism, nightmares and frequent stomachache. He was really worried about this and told me I had to tell him if something was wrong and started thinking I was hiding something from him. The things is, my body was already telling me about the psychological abuse (which then became physical and I left). Now I don’t have this problems anymore. What a beautiful feeling waking up without jaw pain 😀

KIP.
      Participant

Yes, me too. Headaches, chest pains, overactive thyroid, muscle aches. The list goes on. How much better I feel. I even manage a full night sleep more often than not. Its wonderful to wake up and see the time is past 7am when i was waking through the night and the morning five oclock frights have passed. Onwards and upwards….

Serenity
      Participant

Hi Delilah,

I always say that my body was telling me about the abuse, before I was ready to face the fact mentally.

I was pretty healthy before I met him. It seems that my life was a whole litany of ever-increasing illnesses from the moment I met him.

Some were direct results of his selfish actions. For example, I lived abroad with him at his request, had no money for health insurance or medical treatment and got sick with a prolonged chest infection. This led to some lung damage,and then adult asthma, which was exacerbated by him puffing cigarette smoke in my face. I remember him getting into a rage once because I asked him not to smoke in the confined space of the car ( I was on strong steroids for my newly developed adult asthma, yet he didn’t care- he was just furious that I dared to limit his freedom, as he saw it). I also bear scars from where he left dangerous items in the middle of the floor and I tripped and cut myself and needed stitches. I developed a serious illness after he forced me to holiday for a week in a house which gave me daily asthma attacks: I think my body was in a state of prolonged trauma and reacted by becoming sick.

Lol, I was even sick during both pregnancies. One illness, pregnancy-related, I was told was due to me being ‘allergic to my pregnancy’! I was probably allergic to his very genes!

My body eventually began to s**t down. I developed serious CFS, fibromyalgia, had beixusm, has serious sleep issues, and then of course PTSD when it dawned on me, due to his revealing the true extent of his evil in a dramatic mask-slipping episode and me realising that I had married a dreadful man and no, I wasn’t at fault- he was.

Since I’ve been out, my other health issues have dramatically improved; the PTSD is gradually lessening. My physical strength and fitness is gradually returning.

Another thing: towards the end of the relationship, say in the last few years, I also developed incredible coldness. I remember being painfully cold all the time, to the extent that certain situations such as swimming in a public pool of normal temperature was unbearable.

I also developed mind fog, forgetfulness and confusion.

Our body tells us so much.

Tiffany
      Participant

So much truth in this. I started fits of uncontrollable shaking when the abuse started (years before I realised it was abuse) and I lost around 1/3 of my hair in our last year together. It was coming out in handfuls every time I brushed my hair. The body knows even when the brain pretends not to.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content