Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi everyone

I have just come back from watching Wonder Woman at the cinema all by myself and I loved both the film and the experience! Both felt very empowering and positive and have given me confidence and inspiration. I was sat next to three teenage boys, two of which kept giggling and being annoying, but the one next to me was quiet so it was ok. I had never been by myself before and worried that I’d look really weird going alone but I actually enjoyed it. The only thing I’d do next time is go to an earlier showing as I think less groups and couples go to those. It’s exciting to think I can now go and see what I want, when I want and not have to try to coordinate with anyone else (I did ask my local friends but one wasn’t free this weekend and another started getting controlling trying to change the cinema, the date and time which brought back that stressed, powerless, violated feeling of abuse so I decided to take back my power and go alone).

I also loved the film. It’s funny because the fight between Wonder Woman and the main villain reminded me of how I had to take all my inner strength to fight off my ex’s manipulation and end the relationship. I remember being on the phone to him for two hours trying to end the relationship where he was trying every tactic in the book to try to get me to continue seeing him, trying to ‘win’ and ‘defeat’ me. I started to get worn down and confused and nearly agreed until right at the end he said two really strange and creepy things which thank goodness suddenly broke me out of the FOG. It might sound a bit crazy but at that exact moment I felt this surge of strength and had this image of a statue of liberty type woman emerging from within me saying ‘noooooo’ which finally gave me the strength to end it with him. It was wonderful to see I had these inner reserves of strength that turned up at the right time to protect me.

Dragonfly
      Participant

Well done you. Goes to show no matter how scary it might seem going it alone. We can do it and, as in your situation, it turned out good. A great feeling 😀

SunshineRainflower
        Participant

Thanks Dragonfly, I think it’s partly empowering as it requires overcoming a fear. Gives us a real boost of confidence 🙂

Tooch
      Participant

That makes me smile reading your post for going on your own oh how I long to be able to make decisions for myself well done hun xx

SunshineRainflower
        Participant

You can do it Tooch, we are all here supporting you. xx

KIP.
      Participant

Thats on my to do list this year. Go on my own. I was there today to see’My Cousin Rachel’ there were three women there on their own! Wonderful. Im definately going to do it. No more war movies for me lol.

SunshineRainflower
        Participant

It was always so hard trying to find a film that my ex would agree to watch, he always wanted something with some violence in it which I absolutely hate. It’s so great being able to choose what we want to see 🙂 How was ‘My cousin Rachel?’

Relieved
      Participant

Well done for going out alone. Might try that one day. It’s interesting what you said about your friend trying to change everything around a trip to the cinema and how it made you feel. I went out with a friend the other night and I offered to pick her up but she said “No, I’ll drive, you chose where we go” and then proceeded to criticise my choice all evening. That made me feel like you did. I will avoid going out with her again.

SunshineRainflower
        Participant

I know exactly how you feel Relieved, I am now 100% allergic to bossy and controlling people. I’ve spent my life getting stressed out by people like that, it’s empowering to just say ‘you know what, how about no’ and do your own thing. 🙂

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Thanks ladies! Yes definitely all try it on your own, I really enjoyed myself! It felt very freeing and was a great boost to my confidence which communicates to yourself that you are worth it, that you deserve it and that you can do it. It’s also such a nice treat, you can see whatever you want (no having to compromise for a change!) and you get to decide which cinema, the day and time. I’m totally going to go again soon and next time I am going to get popcorn 🙂

It’s quite an exciting thing to add to the self care toolkit and is such a lovely thing to do to get out of the house and lift your spirits. x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content