Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Goggleeyes
      Participant

You don’t have to see the whole staircase

Hi everyone,

I’m setting up a feed for encouragement. Little quotes to uplift your day. Feel free to add to them. Sorry I can’t find a way to upload pictures.

“You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Can I add a funny one? i don’t have a serious one yet…
      ‘I don’t sweat, I sparkle’ 😄

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Ooh got one
      ‘ Never settle for less than you deserve’💕💪

Escapee
      Participant

“You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.”

A section from Desiderata

diymum@1
      Participant

Now if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that! I’m always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You’re the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, you ain’t gonna have a life.

from rocky

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Before you diagnose yourself with depression; make sure you are not, in fact, surrounded by a**h**es.

fizzylem
      Participant

‘You can’t polish a t**d’ – sorry couldn’t help it, not quite what you meant G nor keeping with the positive theme is it. Just thought how apt this could be in the context for those feeling they should stay as he might one day change into that lovely man again or if you feel it’s only you that can fix him x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Winston Churchill ❤️

“In war, as in life, it is often necessary, when some cherished scheme has failed, to take up the best alternative open, and if so, it is folly not to work for it with all your might.”

“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”

“You have enemies? Good. It means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

“This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

“There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not to fear to do or say what you believe to be right.”

“Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.”

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.”

“All the greatest things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honour; duty; mercy; hope.”

“Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others.”

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a few!

“Be gentle with yourself. You’re doing the best you can”

“Do not give your past the power to define your future”

“Never be a prisoner of your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence”

KIP.
      Participant

You can’t go back and change the beginning but you can start from where you are and change the ending. CS Lewis x

KIP.
      Participant

Only ever look back to see how far you have come x

HunkyDory
      Participant

“These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.“

“As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.”

Both Rumi.

And one from a series of books I love (Dune – Frank Herbert) that’s gone through my head more than a few times over these years:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” Xx

KIP.
      Participant

Oooo. I love that one about fear. I’m going to put that on my fridge! Ironically my ex used to say ‘Panic is your worst enemy’. He did a dangerous job, sadly it wasn’t dangerous enough to finish him off x

starqueen
        Participant

“Our worth and our belonging are not negotiated with other people. We carry those inside of our hearts. … I’m not gonna negotiate who I am with you, because then … I may fit in for you, but I no longer belong to myself. And that is a betrayal I am not willing to do anymore.” – Brene Brown. I’ve shortened some of this quote but it really struck a chord with me.

HunkyDory
      Participant

Haha KIP 😂 yes the fear one is great, x

HunkyDory
      Participant

Oo just seen a nice one “you’ll be amazed at what you attract when you start believing in what you deserve xx

Goggleeyes
      Participant

Hi Ladies,

I’m LOVING your notes of encouragement for us all. I’ve had a great chuckle at a couple of these and lots of smiles. Ty so much! Xx

To anyone here add funny ones, serious ones, anything that resonates with you and offers hope for someone else. Through little ripples we touch each other’s lives 🥰

“Until you change your thinking, you will always recycle your experiences.”

“It’s better to walk away, than to tolerate nonsense.”

“The trick is as long you know who you are and what makes you happy, it doesn’t matter how others see you.”

bookworm
      Participant

Thank you ladies I have not visited this forum for a long time it is almost (detail removed by moderator) since I left a man that was very controlling and who I greatly feared having lived with him for (detail removed by moderator) although I left him many times I always went back until this time and it’s great to know that you are all still here I love your words of encouragement

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Well done for leaving bookworm, welcome back 🙂 I hope you can stay away from him and keep safe, you deserve a life free of abuse.
      Do you have a favourite quote of yours?

Galnextdoor
      Participant

Some people just need a high five – in the face – with a chair

That one always makes me laugh 😂

Galnextdoor
      Participant

Oh and “the only way to deal with toxic people is to not play with them”

Galnextdoor
      Participant

Finally…

“Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child you have stolen, for my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom as great. You have no power over me!”

– Jim Henson (Labyrinth)…epic movie!

resilient
      Participant

this is a lovely thread!

Yellowflower
      Participant

When a toxic person can no longer control you they will try to control how others see you. The misformation will seem unfair, but stay above it, trusting that other people will eventually see the truth, just like you did.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content