Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      red-flower
      Participant

I am hoping to vent about abuse from family members.

My relatives are obsessed with relationships with
      men that do not exist, and they openly dislike
      that I am well educated and have competent IT skills. I’m not sure why this behaviour exists perhaps it’s about exerting control. It’s an essential skill for most jobs and appears as an issue for every time it is used as part of a task for an assignment or work.

I would teach them because that’s the type of person that I am, but they don’t seem to actually want to learn it. However, they don’t want me using it either. I am aware that they do not like
      me seeming more educated or skilled at tasks than them. They are unable to be proud of me for anything, and I realised today that they have never said ‘congratulations’ for any achievement.
      I constantly receive abuse for wanting an education and seeking to improve my skills.

I am planning to leave as I don’t want to resort to making myself homeless, and I probably wouldn’t receive any help from the council within districts as the abuse isn’t physical. Do you have any advice for me?

Darcy
      Participant

Hi my beautiful angel… red-flower,
      Well done for wanting to educate yourself and do well for yourself, keep continuing to do this
      It sounds like the people around you are insecure and jealous of what you have achieved, however this is their problem not yours
      It sounds like you are not being smug about your achievements with your willingness to offer to teach them, so its harsh they have a problem with it.
      Unfortunately you cannot change people, you can only change yourself and hope that in someway it will start to change their behaviour. This isn’t guaranteed though.
      So I would start to put a plan together ready for your exit, surround yourself with more positive people and activities and continue with your education to get the life you deserve with the people who deserve you
      Sending you love and Support
      Darcy xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content