Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Butterfly3
      Participant

Hi. My husband is very controlling and emotionally abusive and after years I am finally speaking to a domestic abuse charity and have a support worker there. I’m really scared to leave for various reasons including money and how I’ll cope but the main reason is housing. Where we live is privately rented and I wouldnt be able to afford to live here alone so I would have to move. I have no way of getting a deposit for another house and noone I could borrow it from. I have nowhere I could stay. Friends/family and the council are making it really difficult. My support worker has told me that I couldn’t go to a refuge as the level or violence isn’t that where I would get a place as I’m not scared of him in that way and he’s not a risk to me or the children he’s just extremely emotionally abusive towards me. I wouldn’t want to go to a refuge anyway as I feel it would be really distressing for my eldest child. The council are saying they cant house me here as I would have to move out of area during to DV. I don’t want to move my children schools. It would have a hugely detrimental effect on my eldest. I feel stuck. If the council housed us in a different village in the county it would be fine and my children would still be able to get to school. He would never go near the school anyway as my two eldest arent his children. I moved area (detail removed by moderator) due to another abusive relationship and where I am now is where I’m originally from. I feel like I don’t have any real choices but I’m not coping in this relationship either

fizzylem
      Participant

Hi B, yes been here and it seemed to take forever to work out a solution; housing is such a widespread problem for women like us. Could he leave? Would you get any child support from him? If so how much? You been on the CMA calculator? Would you be eligible for any housing benefit? Would your tax credits change? Suppose I’m wondering how much money you would get – perhaps if you can work this out it may help? x

Butterfly3
      Participant

Hiya I couldn’t stay as the rent would be far too high even with housing benefit and I know the landlord doesnt accept it anyway. My husband is self employed and manages to pay hardly anything to his other children so I wouldn’t get much help. Just feels like an impossible situation. Makes me feel like theres no way out

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content