Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Bewholme24
      Participant

Hi I’m new to this but decided I needed to find help somewhere. I am safe now that is not the problem and reading all of your stories has been helpful. I’m finding I’m just angry all the time at him and at his family but him mostly. I don’t want to be that angry person but I can’t seem to stop it for long. Any advice welcome

KIP.
      Participant

Healing from Hidden Abuse is a great book. It goes through the stages of healing and anger is just another one of them. You will progress through this stage. Sometimes it’s okay just to sit and feel that anger. I used to imagine that anger in a red balloon and watch it float away. Anger is probably and emotion that was suppressed. Abusers have a real problem with our anger, as much as their own. It’s just another natural feeling for you to embrace and then let go. Anger is healing. Anger can be good. Things get done during the anger stage. I was much more productive in that stage than the shock, denial and despair stage 💕

KIP.
      Participant

Have you ever had counselling? If you can I’d definitely recommend it but only with a trained domestic abuse counsellor.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Bewholme24,

Welcome to the forum.
      We are sorry to hear that you are having problems coming to terms with the aftermath of your abusive relationship. You are not alone in this. Many women who have experienced abuse struggle with “getting back to normal”. Sometimes the memory of what you endured and the difficulties of starting a new life can make you feel as if you are not healing. It all takes time and people around you may have to accept this. We all deal with things in different ways and this healing process can take time.
      You may see if your local domestic abuse service can offer an emotional support right now. You can search for your local group here.
      There’s also the Freedom Program that is an emotional support service for women that have come out of abusive relationships and need to address what they have been through. Due to COVID, you may find doing an online course more accessible. Find details here.
      I do hope you continue to share your experiences here and find it a place of support.
      All the best,

Lisa

Bewholme24
      Participant

Thank you for the replies and apologies for the delay in replying. I’m on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster and kept trying to reply but couldn’t. I’m switching between angry and upset constantly. Your advice and support is helpful so thank you for this. I’m finding reading through others stories helpful.
      Again thank you and I hope I can be of help some day x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Take your time, these emotions are scary and overwhelming and sometimes we think we are going to suffocate from the weight of them, but as time passes they do lessen. How long that takes is totally dependent on us as individuals. You can just read others stories or contribute, do what’s right for you mo chàraid (my friend)
      Best wishes IWMB 💞💞

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content