Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Fudgecake
      Participant

I have had a good week and been able to get some sleep but today I woke up feeling anxious and panicky again. I have this overall sense of doom today. I wish these feelings would go once and for all. Do they ease off gradually or get better the more you put your life back together? My life ie where I finally settle etc is still up in the air although more settled than it ever was with my ex. I keep worrying about the future rather than enjoying the here and now. Gah I hate feeling like this and I feel so alone.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi, you’re feelings are feelings of recovery, it’s a rollercoaster. Hopefully if you look back to the early days you will see just how far your recovery has come. The good spells should get longer and longer but even now I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus when I’ve had too much stress. Try to keep as much stress out your life x have you tried mindfulness. It brings you back to the here and now x

Fudgecake
      Participant

Thank you KIP xx
      I haven’t tried mindfulness. What does it entail?

KIP.
      Participant

There’s different methods. I like the one where you use your senses to ground yourself. So when you start to get panicky look around, what do you see, what do you hear, what do you taste, what do you feel. It grounds you in the moment. There also a good trick to look left and focus on a colour, maybe a black bag, whatever is there, then look right and find an object of a different colour, maybe a red shoe. Looking back and forward from black to red. These are distraction techniques. There are free mindfulness videos and podcasts etc. There’s also a good one for falling asleep to meditation. Have a look around YouTube. It’s important that you do relaxation exercises to reduce the adrenaline you’re producing. It lessens the anxiety. Also cut out caffeine and alcohol meantime. Both are stimulants. If you can exercise vigorously it burns off excess adrenaline too.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Hi Fudgecake

I like mantras, when I am anxious, I tend to go into panicky mode which in the worse case turns into a full blown panic attack, so to prevent this I tell myself “I am safe” over and over until I am exhausted and calm down. I go to my safe place (my bed) and breathe in and out and listen to music.

You can also ask yourself is there a particular event in your schedule that makes you feel anxious? Might it be your up coming new job?

I agree with KIP about physical exercise, if you can, do it, it brings your focus on you body and will relax you afterwards and help you sleep better in the night.

For your worries about the future, let loose with your imagination and picture whatever you like it to be. It doesn’t have to be realistic at all, it’s just a fun exercise to do, like when you were a kid, what would you like to be when you grow if you could have anything you like, including magic. Imagine many different futures for yourself. Over time you’ll be able to tell yourself, this dream actually appeals to me then direct your steps slowly towards it.

I wish you peace and calm, breathe deeply in and out.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Thanks for the sage advice KIP. I’ve only suffered mild panicky feelings but recognise them for what they are, even trying to breathe through them is difficult, sitting up, lying down. Again thankfully I’ve not had many.
      Much love to all
      IWMB 💕💕

Fudgecake
      Participant

Thank you for the good advice KIP and HLJ.
      I shall try this and look on YouTube. I think you’re right HLJ I might be anxious with new job. I’m in my safe place atm (bed).
      I hope you don’t get too many panicky feelings IWMB but I think they are par for the course. Not very nice at all.

Fudgecake
      Participant

Thank you for the good advice KIP and HLJ.
      I shall try this and look on YouTube. I think you’re right HLJ I might be anxious with new job. I’m in my safe place atm (bed).
      I hope you don’t get too many panicky feelings IWMB but I think they are par for the course. Not very nice at all.
      It’s terrible that we’re left in such a state after they’ve systematically taken us apart.

KIP.
      Participant

In the early days my brain confused excitement with panic. It’s weird. Even feeling the need to pee would trigger panic. I think it’s all related so try to tell yourself apprehension and maybe a little uncertainty isn’t panic like with an abuser. I think it takes a while to separate feelings but you will get there. I’m going on holiday soon and it’s a fine line between excitement and letting panic back in but I’m learning to calm myself and look for the positives 😎

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

You’ve got this Fudgecake, you’ll be fine at work, use visualisation to help you with the nerves. Imagine yourself going there, working a little, it’s all new so you’ll be busy taking notes, before you know it is time for the morning coffee, then lunch break then another coffee break and already it’s 5 o’clock and time to go home. You just survived your first day. The next one will be easier. For conversation just keep asking questions about the business and there are always people who are funny and sympathetic which will be kind to you and you’ll have a good time, I’m sure you will even be able to laugh once or twice.
      I wish you an excellent start sweety 💞 tell us how it went ok.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

That’s an insightful point KIP, to be aware of and separating the feelings, when the heart races, does it mean panic or is it excitement? Never thought of it like that.
      How nice holidays coming up for you, you deserve it so much, I hope you’ll be able to enjoy them fully. 💗

Fudgecake
      Participant

Thanks HLJ for the good advice.
      My kid says I like to worry lol but I don’t it’s just after a series of disastrous choices in my life I’m wondering what I’m going to screw up next. I’m angry with myself that I got duped by another man but I guess you can’t change the past only make plans for the future.

I hope you enjoy your holiday KIP and that you come back feeling refreshed x

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content