Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      IAmGoodEnough
      Participant

So I met my new DVAP support worker (detail removed by moderator). I have been on the books for a while but had to put it all on hold because of COVID. I rang them to say I was ready to move but have been waiting a few months for support because they are struggling resource wise.

It was such a good meeting. She was so helpful and positive but very honest and practical too. Emotionally I am ready I think and she agrees but it’s still very scary 😨. She got me to see though that emotionally I am in the best place possible but at this point nothing is going to make this next bit any easier. Weirdly that really helped.

We talked a bit about how to deal with the kids. How and when to tell them. They are a mix of (detail removed by moderator) and of an age that I can’t make them come with me if they don’t want to. They don’t consciously know that there is a problem. They definitely are affected but the abuse is so insidious and they don’t know any different as it has always been normalised. I knew I wanted to tell them ahead of time but recognise how dangerous that could be if they let on to him (he works away most of the time). She was great and understood, reassured me that we can put together a plan that should be as safe as possible but is easier for them to understand. She also told me that there is a DVAP team that specifically deals with children and offers therapy and help after we leave which no one had mentioned before.

So I am going to start viewing houses. There is a (detail removed by moderator) and a grant which helps with furniture etc. And I see her again in a fortnight.

It feels just a little bit more possible now and that feels soooo good 😊

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi IAmGoodEnough,

It’s really great to hear about your positive experience with your new support worker. Thank you for sharing this with everyone here on the forum. It sounds like they’re very supportive and focused on what you want to happen and the best way to achieve this. I hope that it continues to go this way and things keep getting better.

Take care and keep posting,

Lisa

IAmGoodEnough
      Participant

Thank you Lisa
      Yes it was very reassuring. I am still scared stiff everytime I think about it. It is so surreal. But I guess its time to put on my big girl pants if I ever want to have a life for myself.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content