Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Just wanted to write and introduce myself.  (detail removed by moderator) I finally plucked up the courage to leave my husband , we had been together (detail removed by moderator) years and had two children. With the help of my family I went into refuge and although it was the hardest thing I’ve had to do ,I can finally say I feel free.Don’t get me wrong it’s still not easy, there are still bad days, days I doubt myself , but I still don’t regret any of this.
      I’ve come here because although my family have been supportive , they don’t get it, how can they. I hop to get to know you all.

Sandybeach
      Participant

Hello finally free

I am also new here.Although my experience is
      bit different.
      I totally get the family and friends not understanding.
      Mine don’t really either I read so many
      Posts which describe how I felt here.
      Hope you get loads of support.Well done
      for finding the courage.You are a strong person.

kitty
      Participant

I’m glad you have family around. I’m not so lucky. My mum said there was my version, my ex’s version and then there was the truth. She has rubbished my mental health problems. I have no contact with her now. I think she is a disgrace tbh. Hopefully ur family can help you through. Welcome 🙂

Racoon
      Participant

Welcome to the forum. Sadly it’s a bit of a rollercoaster ahead but you did the hardest bit. Well done! I think it was the hardest thing I ever did too.
      The best thing I read was Lundy Bancroft: why does he do that? As someone said on here a few days ago. It was the best £13 they ever spent. That book changed my life and ensured I didn’t return to my abuser. It really did clear the fog many survivors get having recently escaped an abusive relationship.
      I also think it is a very good resource for people who just don’t “get It”.
      It should be compulsory reading for any professional dealing with domestic abuse.

EeyoreNoMore
      Participant

Welcome! I echo what Racoon said above! Lundy Bancroft should be compulsory for every person who is likely to come into contact with abusers: police, social workers, judges, teenage girls and mummies alike!

Welcome to a safe place xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank u all for the welcome and support.I hope you are all okay :)’ Will look out for that book, sounds helpful

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content