Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Caledonia6
      Participant

So I finally left (removed by moderator) ago. I’m in a refuge with my youngest son. Feelings are very up and down. It goes from extreme sadness to feeling I’ve done the right thing.
      My older (removed by moderator) sons are with their dad.
      I feel so sad because I’ve left such a nice lifestyle behind to having the bare minimum. My son seems to be doing very well which helps.

Gotthatrite
      Participant

@caledonia6 you have been so brave to get this far. It can’t have been easy and I find some days are so overwhelming you just have to go with all the feelings. The old cliche take one day at a time. You will question everything, the brain never stops, but remember what made you get to where you are today. Hold onto that. You say your son is doing very well that’s a real positive right there, big hugs.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Caledonia6,

As Gotthatrite says, you really have done such a brave thing to get you and your son to this point. Well done. It’s understandable that you are feeling the way you have expressed; overwhelmed and going through one extreme emotion to another. Many women experience this when they leave and go into refuge, as it is such a big step and as you say, such a different lifestyle to what you are used to.

Perhaps try and see if there is any extra emotional support that the refuge staff can offer or link you to locally. Anything that you feel you need, do ask them. It’s important you do not now feel isolated without any guidance or help.

You could try calling Supportline who offer confidential emotional support to reach people before they get to “crisis” point. They offer support by telephone, email and post. They work with callers to develop healthy, positive coping strategies, an inner feeling of strength and increased self-esteem to encourage healing, recovery and moving forward with life. They also keep details of counsellors, agencies and support groups throughout the UK. They cover a wide range of issues, including domestic abuse. They can also refer locally.

It’s great to hear your son is thriving. You will too in time. Keep posting.

Take care,

Lisa

Stargazing1
      Participant

@Caledonia6 , well done for getting out . That’s a very brave thing to have done . Give yourself some credit for being brave. I can imagine your feelings will be all over the place . I’m glad your son is doing OK. One day at a time . Hoping only the best of everything for you .

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content